Questions regarding a CCNA home lab...

jnick

2[H]4U
Hey guys,

Soon enough I'll begin studying for my CCNA. To be honest, I haven't done too much research on the exam yet and therefore my knowledge on it is fairly limited. I don't plan to take it for quite some time, however as a Sophmore in college, I'd like to complete it before I graduate.

I'm currently working on my A+, which I know is a joke, but I might as well get it out of the way :).

In regards to CCNA, I've read that it's extremely beneficial to setup a home lab to gain the experience and work with the actual equipment and I completely agree. Unlike most of you guys, I've never worked with any Cisco equipment. The most networking equipment I've worked with has been linksys and a D-Link routers. Therefore, I'm kind of "worried" as to how a Cisco router functions and operates.

As stated before, I am currently a Sophmore pursuing It as my major with a concentration in Networking as well as Systems Analysis/Project Management. From the networking course, more specifically "Networking" and "TCP/IP Protocols", I have a basic understanding of routing, routing tables,Frame Relay CSMA/CD & CA, etc. I'm sure that my knowledge in those areas will be minimal compared to what I'll learn when I start working hands on.

With that said, I was wondering what equipment would be needed? I know the "norm" is >=2 routers (2500 series) and a switch in order to do more advanced routing, as well as transceivers serial cables and a rack. Is there anything else I'm forgetting?

Now comes the stupidity :). Here are a few questions regarding the setup once the hardware is purchased. Please bare with me...

1. I'd assume that the setup would need to be connected to our active cable line/modem - right?

2. I would need to connect a spare box to the setup, correct? Do I need to connect more than one PC, or is one fine?

3. Once it's setup and functional, or when I'm "done" with the hardware, would it be practical to use for a basic home (2 PC) network setup? Or would my DGL-4100 be much more practical for my needs?

Any help is appreciated!!

1. Nope, you don't need an active internet connection. In fact, you don't want one typically. All you're doing with the labs & such is simulating connections - usually T1s, etc, things like that.

2. You could get by with one computer, but having two might be nice so that you could test internetwork connectivity, etc.

3. Depends on what hardware you get. You could certainly use the switch you purchase (I've got a 2924), but the routers may be a different story.

Thanks for the info!

What would be the router to get? The 2520?

Thanks again!

Ohh how great! We're in the same boat jnick! You've summed up the exact same questions I was trying to ask only yours made far more sense then mine. Head over to the thread labeled "Cisco information" and some forum members have already posted their recommendations for some cisco routers. We might even be able to help each other in this endeavour that is Cisco routers, since I basically have the same questions ;)

Here are the specs for my Cisco lab.

(2) Cisco 2620 Routers
(1) Cisco 2509-RJ - Access Server
(1) Cisco 2610 Router
(2) Cisco 2924-M-XL each with 2 port SC Fiber Module

The cost for them is going to vary depending on what kind of deals you can get from fleabay (eBay). I had a 4' relay rack just lying around so I mounted them in that. Each 2620 has a WIC-2T card in it and the 2610 has 2 WIC-1T Serial Card in it. I also found serial cables on fleabay for fairly cheap as well.

I use the 2509-RJ as an access server. He has 8 RJ-45 connectors on the back that connect to the console port of the other routers and switches. This allows me to telnet into the 2509-RJ via IP address and then I can telnet into the different routers from there.

Personally I went with the hardware over Software simm because there are certain things you can't simulate with a simm. One of those being is what happens when you don't get a cable plugged in all the way? HEHE... Yes I have done that. Or if you forget to plug in a cable at all. Done that too. It has helped me to trouble shoot and what problems may arise and the simm software cannot simulate errors like that. Plus I think it is cool having a rack of Cisco gear in my room!

Hope that helps you a little. Good luck!

-Axel

Thanks for the information guys!

ntba - Definitely, Let me know what you purchase, if anything. I'm going to do some more research on what routers and switches are good budget one's to buy and then I'll pull the trigger!

If anyone has any other input, feel free to post it!

Thanks again!

EDIT:

It looks like my options for routers are 2501, 2503, 2513, 2514, 2520 . . . Which should I get? Also, is Frame Relay an important aspect to mess with for CCNA? If so, are any of those routers capable of it? Or do I need to buy a separate unit? What about a switch? 2900 series? Also, will I need an access server? Finally, which IOS should it be using? 12.x.x? If it's not using 12.x.x is there any way to flash it with a newer OS? As I said before, this will be my very FIRST Cisco hardware I'm messing with. So I'm basically looking for the basics which will help me tinker around and gain some experience with the hardware as well as prepare me for my CCNA.

Your help is appreciated!

It looks like my options for routers are 2501, 2503, 2513, 2514, 2520 . . . Which should I get?
It’s up to you and it depends on how big a network you want to set up. Just note that the models you listed have different interfaces - Check Cisco’s site for info. You can start with just one router to tinker with and go from there. To play with routing protocols you need at least two routers (3 or more is better) of course.

Also, is Frame Relay an important aspect to mess with for CCNA? If so, are any of those routers capable of it? Or do I need to buy a separate unit?
Check out the ccna training on Cisco’s website under exam topics. You must know them all to be safe. Umm...It says you need to “evaluate key characteristics of WANs,” what ever that means. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is frame relay is considered old news (MPLS is hot) but still in use. Which means you may get one or two questions on Frame Relay, or you may get none; it depends on what test you get. I would spend more time on learning switching (lots of questions) and the “show” commands if I were you.

Also, any series 25xx router with a lot of serial ports would make good frame –relay switch, like the 2520 model you listed. Check Google for the config on how to make the 2520 into a frame-relay switch if you want to go that route.

What about a switch? 2900 series? Also, will I need an access server?
You don’t need an access server.
It’s good to have if you have lots of routers because you don’t have to keep switching the console cable every time you make a change. If you have only one or two routers it makes no sense. Save your money for when you take the CCNP and have a lot of routers.

As far as switching goes, you’re tested on the 2950 model and it tends to be expensive on EBay. The 2924 XL-EN model is much cheaper and just as good. You may even find a working copy of a router/switch Sim on the web which will save you even more money.

Finally, which IOS should it be using? 12.x.x? If it's not using 12.x.x is there any way to flash it with a newer OS? As I said before, this will be my very FIRST Cisco hardware I'm messing with. So I'm basically looking for the basics which will help me tinker around and gain some experience with the hardware as well as prepare me for my CCNA.
The CCNA exam, as of a few months ago (it may change later this year just like the CCNP did last summer), used IOS 12.2. Try to get 25xx router with 16megs of DRAM & Flash, although 8megs will work with 12.2 because most 12.2 images are around 7.8megs in size. If you see a router with 4megs Dram, it’s junk ( too old to be upgraded) – don’t buy it.

Yes you can easily upgrade the IOS using Tftp (or the test network you just built!) up to 12.3 if necessary.

If you need to use 12.4 (like for the CCNP) then you need to get some newer model routers, the 25xx is just too ancient for the new stuff like SDM and VOIP etc. But for now it will get you going and it’s a cheap way to get some hands on experience.

To learn the basics, get a cheap book by Todd Lammle or the ICND book by Cisco press. Good luck. :cool:

Back