Questions on Water Cooling, please drop by and answer.

This is good stuff for boning up on the basics of water cooling. Please keep in mind though that this stuff has a lot of dated material in it. Also XS doesn't take well to new ideas so take what you read there with a grain of salt. ;)

Yes. We're stuck on reinventing the wheel. Pardon us and the manufacturers, block designers, and CEO's please.

Yes. We're stuck on reinventing the wheel. Pardon us and the manufacturers, block designers, and CEO's please.

No I didn't say that, you did. Actually I would compare it to the difference between the sixties era cars and what is out now. They both run well, but the technology has changed a bit.

If all these VIP's spent as much time doing what they do best they wouldn't have time to be doing sales promos on forums.

Ok. So now I'm hearing about Yate Loon fans? I thought you didn't need fans in water cooling..and what's so good about these?

Ok. So now I'm hearing about Yate Loon fans? I thought you didn't need fans in water cooling..and what's so good about these?
You need to put the fans on your radiator if you're watercooling for performance. It is possible to build a wc system without fans, but you'll need a huge radiator and you probably won't get nearly as good temperatures. Yates are used alot because of their static pressure - that is, their ability to push air past obstacles (like radiator fins).

You need to put the fans on your radiator if you're watercooling for performance. It is possible to build a wc system without fans, but you'll need a huge radiator and you probably won't get nearly as good temperatures. Yates are used alot because of their static pressure - that is, their ability to push air past obstacles (like radiator fins).

This radiator doesn't need any fans and it gets better temps than any known water cooling radiator out there.

computer30347uw.jpg

Damn that's huge.
Neways, I have another question for you guys...(And thanks for helping me out so far)
What is 1/2'' and 3/8''? Which one should I get?

Damn that's huge.
Neways, I have another question for you guys...(And thanks for helping me out so far)

1/2 offers theoretically better flow, but in reality the difference is damn near negligible (within 0-.5% difference)

Damn that's huge.

From 8mm to 1/2", just a matter of personal preferance for the most part. As long as you can maintain a certain flow. I believe 3-4 LPM is a good range. Cather has a thread in here regarding this particular subject. Good readings regarding flow and tubing size. Without the search function, you will have to page thru the posts, tho, to find it.

This is what I paid for my wc setup

$18 Zalman WB-2 (its old but it still works amazingly well)
$0 120x2 heatercore (FREE muahahhaa)
$0 120x2 shroud DIY (ugly as hell but it works)
$0 2x120mm tt fans (already had em) but if u wanna add that too its $10
$23 Eheim 1250 pump (long lasting energizer bunny)
$3 coolant
$15 Tubing, fittings, tlines, hoseclamps

total is $59 w/o fans $69 w/ fans

performance is excellent and beats Thermalright XP-90 aircooling load temps by 12C!

So you're saying 1/2'' is the way to go?

I use 7/16 tubing. It was the "rage" in WC'g when I built my 1st system.

Also, I now have an external water-box (longer tubing runs), 4 temp fitting, and a flow sensor in my loop. I just like the idea of not adding any more restriction from tubing size in my loop. Again, personal preferance.

If I were to redo my loop, I would most likely keep my water-box and the lines between it and the computer 7/16. Inside the computer, I would probably do a TN and use 8mm and no barbed fittings. I doubt I would notice much differance in flow, and I have to admit that the small-bore's do look nice from a layout standpoint.

So you're saying 1/2'' is the way to go?

I prefer 1/2" as every degree matters to me. I recently retrofitted one of my builds to a 3/8" line for my other two loops where performance doesn't matter as much. So my CPU loop is using 1/2" tubing, while my GPU and Chipset/HDD/Ram loops are on 3/8".

Inside the computer, I would probably do a TN and use 8mm and no barbed fittings.

Wow I'm getting all hot and bothered just thinking about having a certain type of water cooling associated with my name. :eek: ;)

This is what I paid for my wc setup

$18 Zalman WB-2 (its old but it still works amazingly well)
$0 120x2 heatercore (FREE muahahhaa)
$0 120x2 shroud DIY (ugly as hell but it works)
$0 2x120mm tt fans (already had em) but if u wanna add that too its $10
$23 Eheim 1250 pump (long lasting energizer bunny)
$3 coolant
$15 Tubing, fittings, tlines, hoseclamps

total is $59 w/o fans $69 w/ fans

performance is excellent and beats Thermalright XP-90 aircooling load temps by 12C!

I don't mind getting something like that if it really does have great performance for a price like that..
Anyone want to put their opinion on this?

Get 3/8" it's much better to work with, better bends, less bulkyness, and you can use compression fittings as well.

Back