questions on dvd encoding

Briguyatx

Limp Gawd
Hi, Im trying to figure out what would be an appropriate upgrade system for backing up my dvd's would be.

Right now the system used for the backups =

AXP 1800+
ECS k7sem motherboard
384mb of ram
onboard video
20gig western digital 5400 rpm drive
4x DVD R+-/rw+-
16x dvd-rom reader

obviously very slow for what its doing =x

What i need are some suggestions on a system build that would be noticeably faster on the reincoding/shrinking of the dvd's
p4? AXP? still trying to stay kind of budget minded, so i was thinking something on the order of

Barton 2500+
shuttle AN35 (or similiar inexpensive nforce 2 ultra board) with some sort of s-ata controller
512 (256x2) of pc3200
probably just a generic video card (doesnt need fast for video encoding does it?)
80-120gig SATA 7200rpm drive

Would this make for a noticeable increase in the speed of encoding video's :)

If you guys have some other suggestions on what would be a good build for this (something that doesnt take an hour to make the files for the backup ;) ) i would appreciate it. Burning speed is fine, goes plenty fast, my problem is the actual ripping/encoding portion.

Originally posted by Briguyatx
Hi, Im trying to figure out what would be an appropriate upgrade system for backing up my dvd's would be.

Right now the system used for the backups =

AXP 1800+
ECS k7sem motherboard
384mb of ram
onboard video
20gig western digital 5400 rpm drive
4x DVD R+-/rw+-
16x dvd-rom reader

obviously very slow for what its doing =x

What i need are some suggestions on a system build that would be noticeably faster on the reincoding/shrinking of the dvd's
p4? AXP? still trying to stay kind of budget minded, so i was thinking something on the order of

Barton 2500+
shuttle AN35 (or similiar inexpensive nforce 2 ultra board) with some sort of s-ata controller
512 (256x2) of pc3200
probably just a generic video card (doesnt need fast for video encoding does it?)
80-120gig SATA 7200rpm drive

Would this make for a noticeable increase in the speed of encoding video's :)

If you guys have some other suggestions on what would be a good build for this (something that doesnt take an hour to make the files for the backup ;) ) i would appreciate it. Burning speed is fine, goes plenty fast, my problem is the actual ripping/encoding portion.

I'm not referring to any benchmarks out there that may prove or disprove what I'm about to say, however. From *personal experience*

My Athlon XP2600+ with a 7200rpm, 8mb P-ATA drive and 1 gb ram with a 16X DvD reader does NOT rip and encode as fast as my P4 2.6C with a similair configuration

(Asus p4p800 deluxe motherboard for the p4, and abit nf7-s for the athlon.)

I personally think it has to do with the FSB and higher memory bandwidth.

By faster, I mean that it takes my AMD system about an HOUR to do an average movie (that's ripping, re-encoding to tighter Mpeg2 restrictions, and making an .iso out of the result)
(DvDshrink 3.1 and ImgTool)

My p4 pulls in at around 50 minutes.

You should get a p4 2.4c or 2.6c with HT. These are good for encoding/decoding video. Maybe a all in wonder card for flexabilty(for multiple inputs). 512mb DDR should be fine. Maybe a IC7 Max2 would be a good mb for that processor.

Back