• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Questions on a Mini-ITX build.

Prmetime

n00b
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
30
Greetings all. I have a question for you all but first I need to give you some background. It is time for a new computer and because I have always liked the Mini-ITX form factor, I decided to give it a go. Ultimately I purchased an Asus F1A75-I Deluxe and an A8-3870K processor and the idea was to add a Radeon 6670 card to the build. I had thought about this a lot and decided I was going to do my first case mod so I got a case I have always loved, the Antec Skeleton Mini. The biggest problem with the case was the power supply of only 90 Watts wouldn't be compatible with this motherboard. My idea was to mount a power supply where the Optical drive would be and then use a USB optical drive when I needed one. So, I have started the build. With a little disassembly, I have gotten the factory Heat sink to fit in the case. I have purchased the rest of the components and removed the stock power supply and the rear fan from the case. The difficulty with the power supplies are that an ATX supply is too tall to fit inside the case and the fans are usually on top which won't work with the case. So I bought an Athena Power 400W power supply and I will need to find a way to drill some mounting holes in the bottom of the case to be able to screw the power supply down. Running the power cables is proving to be a pain and I have found that my half height 6670 is both too long and slightly too wide so it contacts the case. If it wasn't too long I had considered notching the case to make the card fit though I think it would severely weaken that portion of the case.

Now that I have told you way too much, I am considering going a different direction for my power supply. I am considering getting a modular ATX power supply and just making it a little stand so that it wouldn't be sitting on the desk/floor. Think of a VERY large laptop brick. At that point I could put an optical drive in the case and just have the power supply hanging out back. My only concern is would this be a safety issue? So would you stick with what I have and find a good way to mount the Athena power supply or would use the external power supply?

Prmetime
 
The most obvious choice here is to keep the case and use something like the pico-ITX power supply and forget the add on video card or change my case entirely. I like the Silverstone FT03 Mini almost as much as the Skeleton Mini case but I'm trying to limit additional cost. I have thought of this in case you were going to make that suggestion.
 
Back
Top