Questions from someone new to modding.

andrew1977

n00b
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
36
Hey guys, I have a couple quick question..

I have a TT Kandalf LCS case and 6 hard drives + 1 evga 680i fan that is driving me
insane....well slightly further down that road anyways.

Can you use standard white packing foam (solid form you find in retail box, not the peanut type) in a computer case? And if you can are there any guidelines I should follow?

What about other types of foam? Outside of the type you can order from a mod website,
is there any that might be of benefit?

Lastly does anyone know a simple/cheap way to suspend a hard drive in a armor/kandalf case?

Any links to an a guide or previous post you know would be of great help.
 
The only thing I can think of is foam=staic electricity.

I could be wrong, but that's the first thing that I thought of.
Do you want to use it as a sound dampening material?
 
yeah static is a problem I heard it messes up the hd's, you could put the hd's on the highest rack possibal then put the foam on the bottom part.
 
yeah i was thinking for silencing by dampening vibration but styrofoam probably isn't the best idea. :eek: Brother laughed at me this morning when I asked him about it.

Is there any type of foam that can be used somehow inside the case to lessen vibrations and take the edge off of the sound of fans? I had a lot of foam used to ship hard drives and a slot of bubble rap as well.

I know these are strange questions but I am broke after buying the parts for my new pc and
am scrounging around the house for things to use.

...on that ridiculous note. Has anyone tried taking the fan out of a PSU and using it inside a case? We have a few that have burnt out over the years and I was thinking of opening them up and seeing what I can pull out. What about heatsinks from old video cards and motherboards? My pc uses an evga 680i motherboard with the heatpipe cooler and the
chipset fan that I can only assume contains a gateway to hell since it screams at me
everytime I turn on the system....think I might have actually heard elvis say "Hey baby." one time....anyways, is there any benefit to putting some of the passive heatsinks from olds onto the R50 chips (not sure if you can on those so asking before I break something)
or other parts of the board?

sorry for the long questions and bad jokes. Any help or advice for a total newbie would be
appreciated. :)
 
I have found most sound deadening materials don't really work all that well. You can isolate drive noise and vibration by using small o-rings over the mounting screws, that helps a little, especially with aluminum cases.

Oh, and you might want to do a little research before you go pokin around the inside of a psu, as it can be a bit of an eye opening experience if you get ahold of the wrong parts......
 
What about anti-static bags that the motherboards come in? Can they be used in conjuction with another material like foam or cardboard to help deaden sound or lessen vibration?

ex: an HD resting on an anti static bag filled with styrofoam or some other material.
 
yeah that's the plan if I can figure out how to work it.

Case is a TT Kandalf LCS and I have 6 HDs to hopefully silence.
Anyone used foam or found another interesting way of silencing a bunch of hard drives in a
TT Kandalf or Armor case?
 
You could call a tire shop or something and ask them if they have any junk inner tubes you can have. Cut them into strips, bend your HD cages so they're a tiny bit wider, and get longer screws (probably). Put the rubber in between the HDs and the case, no static, no vibration. I don't think foam is the answer you're looking for.
 
andrew1977 said:
...on that ridiculous note. Has anyone tried taking the fan out of a PSU and using it inside a case? We have a few that have burnt out over the years and I was thinking of opening them up and seeing what I can pull out.
. :)

Sure you can.
I did on my last mod, I used a 80mm PSU fan as a casefan
It was realy quiet and after a good clean and lubrication round it was put back in action.

The fan might be soldered to the psu board (on realy cheap psu`s)
in that case you have to become inventive on powering the fan
Mine had a litle plug that fitted on the fan header on my mobo

Like they said "' you got to recycle dude"' ;)
 
the only trouble with taking the fan out of the PSU is that it most certainly will not have the right plug on the end (3 pin or 4 pin). frozencpu sells the plugs and pins, and you can just stick one on there and its good to go.

A lot of hard drive silencing products dont seem to work that well, a lot of the reviews for them arent well founded either. I recommend the o ring idea, and then tighten it super tight. You need to transfer the vibration of the drive to the case chassis, That way there is a large surface area to absorb the vibration instead of the drive vibrating against the chassis right in the location its mounted.
 
OkumaCaptain said:
A lot of hard drive silencing products dont seem to work that well, a lot of the reviews for them arent well founded either. I recommend the o ring idea, and then tighten it super tight. You need to transfer the vibration of the drive to the case chassis, That way there is a large surface area to absorb the vibration instead of the drive vibrating against the chassis right in the location its mounted.

Yeah that's true. Once that's done, you might need another round of vibration absorption between the HD cages and the case chassis itself. Maybe you won't have that problem, I was too lazy to look up your exact case and check.
 
Back
Top