Questions for windows 7 RC upgrade

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
Hey guys, three quick questions about the Windows 7 RC. I'm considering going from my XP SP2 machine up to 7. I've heard so many good things about Windows 7 that its got me excited. I'd like to start utilizing the 4gb of RAM i have, and in Windows XP 32bit I'm not doing that.

1) So first, is there any reason NOT to get the 64 bit version? I've got a machine with 4gb of RAM, but of course my XP can only see 2.75ish of it. I've got a quad core, but its a 32 bit processor. I know I can have the 64 bit OS with the 32bit processor, but is there ANY reason NOT to get the 64 bit OS?

2) How bad of an idea (or is it even possible) to upgrade from XP -> Windows 7 without formatting? Theres a lot of stuff I'd rather not have to re-do, though its not impossible of course. I'm sure formatting is the best thing to do, but is it even possible to upgrade without formatting? Worst case I'll just make a ghost image of my HD and put it on a USB drive prior to doing this whole thing. Actually, thinking it through while writing this, it seems like this question is kind of stupid of me to ask. But I'm still curious, so I'll leave it up.

3) When windows 7 is released (in october), does anyone know if they will allow me to buy a license key and plug it into my machine, and get all the updates via Windows Update? I'd rather not have to re-format a year from now when the RC expires. I've never used an RC before, so I'm not sure what they've done in the past.

Thanks in advance :)

1) You have to have a 64-bit proc to use the 64 bit OS. And yes, it is worth it.. upgrade your processor (what are you running thats too old for 64 bit?)

2) It is a very bad idea, reformat and reinstall. I don't even think direct upgrades from XP to W7 are supported in the beta, unless that changed in the RC.

3) You'll need to reinstall to upgrade to retail, its always been that way with the beta versions.

1) You have to have a 64-bit proc to use the 64 bit OS. And yes, it is worth it.. upgrade your processor (what are you running thats too old for 64 bit?)

Really? I thought I could have a 64 bit OS with a 32bit processor. Oh well, guess I gotta get the 32 bit version of Windows 7. I'm guessing that won't recognize my RAM still then?

Theres nothing I'm running thats too old I don't think, its about spending the money :). Too many $$$ for the new processor.

Last edited:
A 64-bit OS requires a little more HDD space and takes a little more ram because it has to load more libraries up. That's why 7 x64 recommends 2GB where x86 only requires 1GB. I've ran 64 bit OSes on 2GB before and they just feel sluggish compared to the 32 bit variants on 2GB.

Pretty much all the chips made in the past few years except some of the really cheap ones like Celerons and Durons prior to 2008 or so and Atoms support 64 bit so I'd be interested in knowing what you're running that doesn't.

Interesting. What quad core cpu is only 32bit?

Good question -- it might be 64 bit and I don't even know :). I'll have to check when I get home. Though I was pretty sure it was 32 bit....I'm thinking it was a Core 2 Quad? Does that sound right? I know its quad core....

I baught it a year ago (March 08)

Last edited:
3) When windows 7 is released (in october), does anyone know if they will allow me to buy a license key and plug it into my machine, and get all the updates via Windows Update?

You will almost certainly be able to upgrade from RC to release. You can currently upgrade from early betas to RC (requires changing one text file on the install dvd). During the upgrade process it asks for your new key.

You can change your CD key without reinstalling (slmgr -ipk xxxx-xxxx-etc) but I doubt it will work without at least upgrading the RC install.

Good question -- it might be 64 bit and I don't even know :). I'll have to check when I get home. Though I was pretty sure it was 32 bit....I'm thinking it was a Core 2 Quad? Does that sound right? I know its quad core....

I baught it a year ago (March 08)

All C2D chips are 64bit compatiable. Maybe you're thinking about VT? The 8xxx series doesn't have that.

I'll need to find out when I get home from work :). Anyway, thanks guys for all the info. I'm getting excited about trying Windows 7.

Upgrading an OS is never better then clean installing. Upgrading leaves crap and bloat.

If you do go to 64 bit, you most definitely will have to do a clean install. No upgrades from 32 to 64 of any version. But I agree with the poster above, I never do upgrade installs.

its impossible to go 32 bit -> 64 bit without a clean install.
But yeah, all the C2x marketed chips are 64-bit.

Back