• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Questions for U2711 owners

Zyde

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
151
Hey guys.

I recently upgraded from a 4 year old Samsung T260 to a Dell U2412m. I've been meaning to switch to IPS for a while and I simply *love* the monitor.

I am, however, faced with a few problems so I am thinking about returning the U2412m and getting a U2711 instead. So if you are an existing U2711 owner, I'd appreciate you taking a moment to answer the following questions that will help me with my decision. Thanks in advance!

---

  1. Is the U2711 fast with switching between different inputs? I plan to connect it to my Desktop PC and Macbook Pro at native resolutions (2560x1440) and an Xbox 360 at 1080p. Will the monitor switch between these in a few seconds or lower? How long does it take to switch between displays from the moment you press the button?
  2. If the monitor goes to sleep as per PC settings, how long for the monitor to restore its display upon moving the mouse? Do you have to wait for several seconds or does it power up the display rather quick (how quick)?
  3. If you run a game at 2560x1440 resolution and set that resolution using in-game settings, it is the graphics card that renders the game at that resolution, right? I.E. I won't be using the scalar in the monitor?
  4. Have you ever experienced any noticeable input lag? If so, in which game/genre and by how much?
  5. What happens to the blue power light at the bottom right of the monitor when it goes to sleep? Does it turn amber and remain solid? Does it blink?
  6. Is the infamous anti-glare coating on the U2711 the same as that on the U2412m? I hardly notice and am not bothered by the AG on the U2412m, so it will be a sigh of relief to discover that the U2711 uses the same level of AG coating. Or is the U2711's specifically worse/more extreme than the U2412m's?

---

An alternative is to buy another U2412m, and use two of these awesome monitors. But then I would have nothing to connect my Xbox 360 to (I don't own a TV). I'm torn between 2 x U2412m or a single U2711. The U2711 would provide me with the ability to use my Xbox 360 thanks to the included HDMI port, but 2 x U2412m would allow me to use both my PC and Mac side by side instead of switching between them.
 
The AG coating is worse on the U2711 because of the smaller pixel pitch, it also has over 1 frame of input lag which will be quite noticeable coming from a U2412 which has almost no input lag (source). I have a near delay free display and a Samsung S27A850D which has over 1 frame of input lag like U2711, and I find it very noticeable for all games. I had to turn down the mouse and controller sensitivity in games to compensate for the floaty controls.

An alternative would be the Samsung S24A850D, it is 1200p, uses the lightest matte coating (semi-glossy), has low input lag and proper console support. If you get one make sure you get it from a place with a hassle free return policy since most come with back-light bleeding, but a few people who have received newer units have received displays with good screen uniformity.

http://samsungs24a850dw.blogspot.ca/
 
Last edited:
Thanks NCX. Speaking of smaller pixel pitch, is having a higher PPI a good or bad thing? I always assumed that higher is better since you get crisper text and details. I sit close enough to the monitor that I am not bothered by small text. In fact, I like smaller text so I can fit more content on the screen at once.

Hoping others will weigh in on the rest of the (as well as the already answered) questions so I have a good number of feedback for an informed decision.
 
I love the higher PPI, it's amazing for multi-tasking. If you sit close the U2711's coating may cause you eye strain.

I think wide gamut displays are silly for console use since games and movies are not created with an extended colour space mind. It's best to stick with sRGB displays to avoid unnatural over saturation. If you have the $$ and can deal with the input lag get a Samsung S27B970D when it is released, it is going to be the ultimate 1440p display. The S27A850D is also a good choice for consoles due to the light matte coating (it's the only matte 1440p display that isn't grainy), it's typically cheaper than the U2711 as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn3gsyEKzKQ
 
Coating is awful, it's a good thing the rest of the things about the monitor are not bad. I game competitively and can still 50-0 players in UT so I think it should be fine for that.

The U2713 sounds like a downgrade in a lot of senses from what we have heard. It has been mentioned to have no displayport and is using a 6-bit+FRC panel instead of an 8 bit one. However it should be much cheaper.
 
Won't some time soon Dell going to release a new U2713?
They will? When is it expected, and where can I read more about it?

*Edit: Ah. Found the other thread about U2713.
 
Last edited:
Bump after 24 hours, still hoping for answers to the remaining questions.
 
Answer to numbers 2, 4 and 5.

Monitor turns on very quickly. Not instantaneous but no more than 2-3 seconds I would say. I'll have to double check tomorrow and if I'm wrong I'll repost.
Disregard that, may have been sleep deprived when I answered that. It's probably closer to 8-10 seconds from standby.
I personally don't notice any input lag and I play several fps games.

The light turns amber and slowly fades in and out when in standby mode. Puts off almost no ambient light though. Not like a blue led.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top