• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Questions for my audio system

XdVeLoPeX

Gawd
Joined
Oct 5, 2010
Messages
547
I have a X-Fi Titanium HD with the DDL/DTS:Connect packs.. I am running the optical cable that came with the sound card (line OUT to optical IN) to my Logitech Z-680 THX Certified speakers that support both DDL/DTS:Connect

I am trying to avoid having to reach over to my control pod and unplugging one optical cable to plug it in for when I am watching tv/xbox/ps3/ETC would their be a specific adaptor/splitter that I need or can I buy this 90 cent cable and get the same results?http://www.amazon.com/TosLink-Optical-Audio-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B002EQ7UEC Or would that distort or mess with the sound at all?? Im a total audio noob lol sorry...

So my questions are :

Gaming mode - Dolby Digital Live or DTS:Connect?
Splitting Signal - Get an adapter or manually unplug?
Analog Connection would be another option? My speakers have 1 optical, 1 coax, 1 analog (orange green black) but the sound card does not have the 3 colored cables like my previous Sound Blaster Extreme Audio would analog be fail?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The speakers might not recognize the input without a switch. I don't know if a splitter would work.

DDL v.s DTS shouldn't matter a lot with those speakers, but DTS has a higher bitrate.

Without an adaptor, analogue will not work.
 
i found an adapter which connects green/orange/black out to red/white going into the red and white on the sound card in windows control panel setting it to 5.1 no sound but stereo plays all speakers..
 
That's because you're only outputting stereo from the analogue jacks on this card. Your best bet is to find an optical switch
 
can you provide me some informaton? will that 1$ one i linke be as good as a 100$ one??
 
ill deal with plugging it in everytime for now i guess.. how about for DDL or DTS:C which do i use?
 
oh and that adapter defeats the purpose becuase i will have to select number 1 or number 2 etc the one i linked i plug both in and never touch again no reason to spend money when I do it manually anyway
 
you will need a switch. That cable is for sending one signal to two devices, not the other way around. Digital signals do not mix like analog signals, trying to electrically (or optically) combine the two will corrupt both. The switch is still a lot more convenient than having to switch cables, and less wear on the connectors. Toslink is not known for mechanical robustness.

DTS is higher bitrate than Dolby Digital, but little is actually publicly known about either, they are both highly proprietary. DTS is considered the better one, but listen to both and see which you prefer.
 
Last edited:
That optical splitter could work. I use one to send my 360 and PS3 to one input on my receiver. The thing is though is it weakens the signal of both and your input may not pick it up. It's cheap enough to try out and see if it works for you.
 
well to the last post thats my question exactly fi your saying that 1$ splitter will work but degrade sound quality witll a XXXX$ one be the same? link me one thats better please?
 
It's digital signal. It's either there or it isn't. It just makes the optical signal weaker and some equipment might not be as sensitive to pick up the weakened signal by being split.I notice no degradation in sound quality by the split. I bought one from Monoprice though.

Also you can't have both sources on at the same time. One in standby might still output something and block the other device. For the money I say try it. It's cheap.
 
Sorry to butt in here, but do the audio abilities stack up equal, better or worse than say a usb dac like the gamma y2? Thanks.
 
Back
Top