Questions: E6300 Wolfdale OC

cjm18

Gawd
Currently running at 10.5x333=3.5Ghz on 1.28 volts and 400mhz memory. One error on prime 95 after 20min. No freezing. No problem booting. Temps in Prime95 got above 70C on a number of different programs. I just installed a new fan (OCZ Vendetta with OCZ Freeze thermal paste). Idle 38c-42C. My bios wont let me lower the cpu volts. It's 0.0 and pressing minus does nothing.

Should i worry about temps and the error?

Secondly, I tried 2.8ghz(Stock speed)=7x400 and it failed to boot. What is the significance of failing at this fsb? What is the solution? Wouldn't it be best to run at a 400mhz fsb and 1:1 ratio with the ram? I didn't touch NB and SB volts. There's no fan on the motherboard.

System specs in Sig.

Thanks

edit- my fan must have been loose as it fell off when i was moving the pc. I reset it, no more prime errors, and no more stuttering in l4d. phew i thought my video card was going bad. still perplexed about 1.28 volts being the lowest i can go. I have read this board can only go up to 1500bus and doesnt like low multipliers for some chips. that explains the 400x7 fail

Last edited:
If you get any errors, your CPU isn't stable. Whether or not you can live with that is up to you. I'd personally do some more tweaking to make it stable though.

As for temps, you're fine. That CPU can go up to 100C without any problems.

If you get errors in anything, it's obviously not stable. However, there is a big difference between being unstable in Prime95 and being unstable in real-world applications. Try running a couple of the most resource-intensive programs that you will realistically use, like a few games, or video conversion, or whatever. If your computer can survive for a long time doing that, then it should be good enough. It's really up to you whether you can keep that overclock, or whether you feel you need more stability.

Back