Questions about the p4.

Porphyria

Limp Gawd
Well, right now I'm at a modest clock (2.4b Northwood to 2.701) and its been at full load for the past two days its completely stable, but my IC7 is giving me readings of 57C. I don't really know how this could be seeing as how I have a very nice HS/F ( a ZALMAN CNPS7000B ) running at 3000rpm. My idle temps before overclock are around 38C, and before clock my fullload was about 54C. I don't know howto justify such a large gap when I have a pretty nice HS/F. Anyone else had these troubles? I haven't increase the v-core or anything. I read somewhere the IC7 has different ways of calculating temperature too. The werid thing is, I felt my HS/F right now (i'm running F@H for [h]) and its only modestly hot, not burning hot like I would think considering the processor is getting readings of 57C. I'm basically 99% sure the HS/F is seated correctly ,although I must admit the way it hooks on is rather ridiculous and unsatisfying.

At a constant voltage, the power use (and heat output) of a CPU is roughly proportional to clockspeed. And since the temperature difference across a thermal resistance to proportional to the heat flow, with a 12.5% overclock you would expect the air-to-CPU temp differnce to be about 12.5% greater.

Let's arbitrarily say you have 27 C (81 F) case air blasting at your heatsink. At 2.4GHz that's a 27 C difference (54 - 27). Overclocked you'd expect that to be 12.5% higher, or 30.25 C. Thirty degrees hotter than the 27 C air would give a CPU temp of ...57 C!!!!.

By the way, give it day before you bump. 40 minutes gives the impression that you're desperately impatient or just plain needy.

Hey, thanks for the reply. My ambient case temp is .. remarkably 28C. So I guess your equation works. Sorry I didn't mean to bump so quick, time flies when youre waiting for replies. Thank you!

HeThatKnows said:
At a constant voltage, the power use (and heat output) of a CPU is roughly proportional to clockspeed. And since the temperature difference across a thermal resistance to proportional to the heat flow, with a 12.5% overclock you would expect the air-to-CPU temp differnce to be about 12.5% greater.

Let's arbitrarily say you have 27 C (81 F) case air blasting at your heatsink. At 2.4GHz that's a 27 C difference (54 - 27). Overclocked you'd expect that to be 12.5% higher, or 30.25 C. Thirty degrees hotter than the 27 C air would give a CPU temp of ...57 C!!!!.

By the way, give it day before you bump. 40 minutes gives the impression that you're desperately impatient or just plain needy.
HeThatKnows, KnowsLast
... Very nice prediction.

Back