Questions about slipstreaming

Pipo

Gawd
I own an original Windows XP cd version that doesn't have either service pack 1 or 2 on it. I'm currently in the process of installing XP on a new 160 GB drive and am having the issue where it only reads 127 GB. The solution seems to be to making a slipstream cd of windows and the service packs. My questions are:

Do I slipstream xp with sp1 and sp2 or would it work fine with just xp and sp2?
Second I downloaded Autostreamer to do this with but it requires that I have the sp2 file. Where can I get it? Only options I see on the ms site are to use microsoft update or have them mail you a disk.

Help im confused and need my pc up and running by tonight! (school starts tomorrow)

The easiest method you're going to find would be:

1) Get your XP CD and copy the i386 directory to a directory on your hard drive someplace. You can use any name for the directory, it doesn't matter, but to keep it all nice and neat, create an XPSP2 directory, then copy the i386 directory from the CD into that XPSP2 directory on the hard drive. Confused yet? :)

2) Go get nLite at www.nliteos.com and also get the required .NET files that are listed just below the nLite installer. Once you have all the files downloaded, install the .NET files first - this is important since nLite will crap out on you if you don't; it'll install but it won't work. So install the .NET framework first, then install nLite.

3) Go get the SP2 file from this link (direct download when you click on it, the filesize is about 266MB):

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...0-73cf11fdcdf8/WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe

4) Run nLite and step through the process. When it asks for the location of your installer files, point it to the XPSP2 directory you created with the i386 inside, then the i386 directory itself. When you get to the point where it offers you a choice of what to do, just check off "Integrate Service Pack" and "Create ISO" and follow the directions. It'll ask you where the Service Pack installation file is, so point it to the 266MB file you downloaded and it'll integrate the files automagically.

5) Create the ISO and then burn it.

That's about it in a nutshell. You can do a lot of stuff with nLite, really, like "trimming the fat" in XP and removing a lot of unnecessary and unused files, killing off unnecessary services, etc. But for the first time, just make yourself a custom XP SP2 integrated install CD and then install it, later on you can go back and experiment with nLite and all the cool stuff it can do.

Hope this helps...

Eh......either way. I found Autostreamer to be less steps though.

Back