EmptyFlame
Weaksauce
- Joined
- Jul 22, 2005
- Messages
- 122
I'm a long time reader of [H], but this is my first post on the forums, so go easy on me if this has been answered somewhere else.
I'm currently putting together a new system for the fall semester that is going to have to last me for atleast 2-3 years for financial reasons. I have a couple important questions about PSUs that I wanted to ask the only reader base I would trust.
The current spec list is as follows (copy and paste):
- Antec P180 Case
- ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
- BFG GeForce 7800 GTX
- Antec TRUEPOWERII 550 Watt
- Either AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (Venice) or AMD Athlon X2 4400+
- Corsair Value Select 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 (CAS 2.5)
- Samsung Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy
- Hitachi 160GB T7k250 SATAII Hard Drive
- NEC 16X DVD+/-R DL Drive ND-3540A
- Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
I'm a college student, so price is always a big factor when picking out parts AND in the future. What I mean is if I buy a 550w PSU as opposed to a 400w and I'm trying to live on very little a month, I would assume it's going to hike my electric bill when I run the computer, much less if I leave it on all the time.
What I have picked out currently is an Antec 550w 2.0 for about $115 (found here). Because of budget reasons, I would like to ask if I would be able to get away with a lesser PSU (like a 400w or 480w) and still be safe down the line if I chose to put in a second card for SLI (slim chance, but I would like to have the option open to me).
Any advice or suggestions are certainly welcome and thank you in advance. Thoughts?
[EDIT]: I included the full current spec list so that you might get a better idea on what the system power needs will be.
I'm currently putting together a new system for the fall semester that is going to have to last me for atleast 2-3 years for financial reasons. I have a couple important questions about PSUs that I wanted to ask the only reader base I would trust.
The current spec list is as follows (copy and paste):
- Antec P180 Case
- ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
- BFG GeForce 7800 GTX
- Antec TRUEPOWERII 550 Watt
- Either AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (Venice) or AMD Athlon X2 4400+
- Corsair Value Select 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 (CAS 2.5)
- Samsung Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy
- Hitachi 160GB T7k250 SATAII Hard Drive
- NEC 16X DVD+/-R DL Drive ND-3540A
- Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
I'm a college student, so price is always a big factor when picking out parts AND in the future. What I mean is if I buy a 550w PSU as opposed to a 400w and I'm trying to live on very little a month, I would assume it's going to hike my electric bill when I run the computer, much less if I leave it on all the time.
What I have picked out currently is an Antec 550w 2.0 for about $115 (found here). Because of budget reasons, I would like to ask if I would be able to get away with a lesser PSU (like a 400w or 480w) and still be safe down the line if I chose to put in a second card for SLI (slim chance, but I would like to have the option open to me).
Any advice or suggestions are certainly welcome and thank you in advance. Thoughts?
[EDIT]: I included the full current spec list so that you might get a better idea on what the system power needs will be.