Questions about SLI and 37 in westy in native res

evanisthecoastie

Supreme [H]ardness
OK, after finding how how much ill get back on tax returns, ITS TIME TO GET GOODIES!

First off with the questions:

1: is SLI worth it for this large of a monitor? (never have gone SLI and am VERY worried about fps issues with the rig in my signature, I am VERY picky when it comes to performance)

2. do you think my one 8800gts will be sufficient enough? (REMEMBER, im picky)

3. I have never done any SLI and wouldnt know the first step to it, besides hooking up the little adapter to both cards.(havnt bothered looking on google yet, was hopin one of you could link a good tutorial website)

4. how much Performance boost can i expect from two 8800GTS in sli?

5. would you recommend me running instead 1 8800GTX + 8800GTS instead of two GTS cards?

6. Not really a question but, NO i am not interested in ATI AT ALL

----edit-----

answered my own question to 3, its on this forum, :-/

You can't run a 8800GTX and a 8800GTS in sli, it has to be the same card...... I run two 8800GTS's in SLI on the sony in my sig, and it has a significant increase of fps in oblivion instead of one 8800GTS.

Since the westy is 1920x1200 or something like that, a single GTX will do VERY admirable.....I would wait on the second GTX until after you get that beast up and running your games, see how it does.

Considering I am running a single GTS on a 24" 1920x1200 display very happily, the GTS would be a fair amount faster.....I think you would be pleasantly surprised how fast the GTX's are.

thanks for the responses, one more question ive come accross though, ive seen people talking about vsync for LCD screens, would i want to use vsync? when i had my old CRT it was normal to always turn it off for games.

thanks for the responses, one more question ive come accross though, ive seen people talking about vsync for LCD screens, would i want to use vsync? when i had my old CRT it was normal to always turn it off for games.

That a very personal preference. You will slightly better framerate with vsync OFF, at the risk of tearing. Tearing in itself harms nothing, and I usually leave it OFF for online multiplayer so I can get the best response. For single player games I turn it ON for smooth and beatiful imaging.

When you DO want to turn vsync ON, use triple buffering, which can be forced usually through the NV Control panel, or a couple of third party tools....

Since the westy is 1920x1200 or something like that, a single GTX will do VERY admirable.....I would wait on the second GTX until after you get that beast up and running your games, see how it does.

Considering I am running a single GTS on a 24" 1920x1200 display very happily, the GTS would be a fair amount faster.....I think you would be pleasantly surprised how fast the GTX's are.

QFT... I run Oblivion with all the graphical mods (qarls and captnkill's) and it works very well.. dips below 30fps rarely.. @ native westy res, 1920x1080, you'll get slightly better performance also, with a few less lines of res vertical.. so see how one 8800GTX treats ya before going SLI..

Thanks once again for the quick replies. I think ill have to spend a lil extra than i intended to to buy a gtx + westy.

can you really not SLI a GTS and GTX?

ok, seems newegg doesnt have the older model bfg 880gts 640 anymore, they only have the OC version of the card, will this still work?

evanisthecoastie I see you use the same case and the sane mobo of mine. One advice I would like to give you is that if you are going after SLI, you need to MOD you case otherwise you will hit serious overheat problem. The root cause is that the southbridge sit right between 2 SLI-ed cards. It will hit 60C in no time even you are not gaming.... you start to see random crashes once its temp goes beyond 52C. I MOD my case by adding 2 fans directly above the SLI-ed card and also cut a big hole in the case so air can be blown directly into it. I did it with some creativity so the look of the case is not affected. (It is a very handsome case and I really don't wanna kill it)

another tip is that you need to cut away your HDD cage otherwise you can't insert your second cards, if you are going to use 2 8800GTX. It is already difficult to slide in the first one already, you need to twist adn turn it.... once it is in, it occupied the space and then there is no room for twisting and turninhg when you try to insert the second one.

And SLI 8800GTX is worth it if you ask me. I game at 2560x1600 and it is smooth as silk. 1920x1200 will benefit from it too, just crank up IQ and enjoy it.

ok, seems newegg doesnt have the older model bfg 880gts 640 anymore, they only have the OC version of the card, will this still work?

Yes, it will, be sure to get the 640mb card.......it will help a bit in the fairly high 1920x1200 res.

I find that my one GTX just barely does the job at the IQ levels I like to run.. I can't quite max everything out in FEAR and Oblivion, but on most other games I can... so the GTS might leave you feeling a little short, performance wise, at 1920x1080.. but that's just imo.

darn :-/ ok, the case thing i will not be able to mod, mostly because i have no modding experience at all, or the tools to do it. anyone suggest a new case?

Im tryin to find cheap new 8800gtx cards, but ebay for some reason prices higher than newegg? dumb people...

darn :-/ ok, the case thing i will not be able to mod, mostly because i have no modding experience at all, or the tools to do it. anyone suggest a new case?

Im tryin to find cheap new 8800gtx cards, but ebay for some reason prices higher than newegg? dumb people...

you need a drill and a saw only, I don't have much experience too but it is not difficult, if you wanna try I can give you some idea.

Back