Questions about PS4 Pro

chenw

2[H]4U
Hey all,

Damn PS4 exclusives (Horizon Zero Dawn and Persona 5) are now tempting me, but before I jump the gun, I have a few questions about PS4.

Is there a way to set the resolution PS4 Pro outputs at? My 4k TV has HDMI 2.0 but my 4k monitor only has HDMI 1.4, so can only do 4k/30, I was wondering if it is possible to set a PS4 Pro to output only at 1080p so I can play on my 4k monitor while keeping 60hz. My TV is all the way out in the living room, so I prefer to avoid playing there if possible, mainly due to convenience as I often look up information on the net.

Also, is an SSD upgrade worth it for reducing loading times, In your opinion? I think I can do 480GB SSD upgrade easy, 1TB SSD would be much harder to justify.

Thanks!

Hey all,

Damn PS4 exclusives (Horizon Zero Dawn and Persona 5) are now tempting me, but before I jump the gun, I have a few questions about PS4.

Is there a way to set the resolution PS4 Pro outputs at? My 4k TV has HDMI 2.0 but my 4k monitor only has HDMI 1.4, so can only do 4k/30, I was wondering if it is possible to set a PS4 Pro to output only at 1080p so I can play on my 4k monitor while keeping 60hz. My TV is all the way out in the living room, so I prefer to avoid playing there if possible, mainly due to convenience as I often look up information on the net.

Also, is an SSD upgrade worth it for reducing loading times, In your opinion? I think I can do 480GB SSD upgrade easy, 1TB SSD would be much harder to justify.

Thanks!
Yes, you can select the output resolution in the console settings. It will automatically detect and set the appropriate resolution on startup, but you can still change it after the fact. I don't have a 4K disiplay, yet, and it works fine with my 40" 1080p 3D TV and HDMI 1.4. In Horizon you'll still be able to choose between 4K checkerboarding, which will be downscaled to 1080p, and a more stable framerate. I've personally had no performance issue with the former and the extra resolution makes a big difference even on a 1080p display.

In some cases an SSD can drastically speed up loading times, but some games actually use a static timer for loading assets. In those cases there would be no difference. I think most games today are "load and done," though, as I have not run into a game that uses a loading timer that has been obvious.

Guys in the bathroom were talking about Persona 5 so it can't be that bad plus it's a Atlas game.

Is the pro worth getting over the regular ps4?

Have to take a few things into consideration:

- do you have a 4k tv?
- do you play games that take advantage of the extra power (patched support)
- do you want to spend $399?

Generally, yes, it's a better machine, but keep the questions I posed in mind.

Is the pro worth getting over the regular ps4?

I would say yes (as a PS4 Pro owner who traded in a standard PS4 for it) but I also have a 4K TV that supports HDR.

If you're using it at 1080p on an older TV and don't intend to get a 4K HDR set? Hard to recommend.

That, or if you're interested in PS VR.

If I buy a PS4 now, it's only going to be PS4 pro, I am not interested in the base PS4, unless there is something on PS4 pro that runs worse than PS4, for which I have heard no such thing.

PS4 pro support will only get better from this point onwards, and I have no qualms about a little more money for more power down the road, especially since console hardware cannot be upgraded piecewise.

Besides, Horizon Zero Dawn is one of Sony's babies, I seriously doubt they'll let that flounder on PS4 pro.

If I buy a PS4 now, it's only going to be PS4 pro, I am not interested in the base PS4, unless there is something on PS4 pro that runs worse than PS4, for which I have heard no such thing.

PS4 pro support will only get better from this point onwards, and I have no qualms about a little more money for more power down the road, especially since console hardware cannot be upgraded piecewise.

Besides, Horizon Zero Dawn is one of Sony's babies, I seriously doubt they'll let that flounder on PS4 pro.

Well, FFXV runs like ass on the Pro with both the Lite and High settings in game, but supposedly ANOTHER patch is coming to fix that this week, at which point my comment will (hopefully) be moot.

Well, FFXV runs like ass on the Pro with both the Lite and High settings in game, but supposedly ANOTHER patch is coming to fix that this week, at which point my comment will (hopefully) be moot.
Me too...

I was planning to upgrade the hard drive in the PS4 Pro to an SSD, but really found no reason to bother. No loading delays or issues in Horizon or any other game I've played so far.

Do you guys have the checkbox checked in settings to boost non-Pro supported games?

I was planning to upgrade the hard drive in the PS4 Pro to an SSD, but really found no reason to bother. No loading delays or issues in Horizon or any other game I've played so far.

Do you guys have the checkbox checked in settings to boost non-Pro supported games?

I know I do, turned it on the first day it was available. Can't say I notice a huge increase overall, but I must not be paying attention.

Loading time is an eternity when you play primarily on PC. Still not as bad as Project Gotham Racing 3 and other launch games on the Xbox 360, though.

I generally do, but it causes some games run worse. MEA was a stuttering mess for me with the option enabled compared to without. Just have to research or test to see which way is better.

Actually, based on analysis performed by Digital Foundry, they've found quite a few games that actually run worse on the Pro. Usually it's due to frame pacing issues causing the gameplay to judder. The most egregious of these is Final Fantasy XV, which actually now plays pretty poorly on both the Original PS4 and the Pro.

Actually, based on analysis performed by Digital Foundry, they've found quite a few games that actually run worse on the Pro. Usually it's due to frame pacing issues causing the gameplay to judder. The most egregious of these is Final Fantasy XV, which actually now plays pretty poorly on both the Original PS4 and the Pro.

Well, that patch is coming today that will hopefully remedy the first fuckup they made back when they released the "performance increase" patch for the Pro.

I'm glad we can increase the text size subtitle's and menus now, I was having an unbelievably difficult time reading the subs (it's just a habit) and menus (I play in Japanese, and often times characters can look the same if there's too much bolding going on in the font).

Back