Questions About Multiplayer Game Hosting

Maul

Weaksauce
I've been trying to host multiplayer games with no success.

Do you have to set the game as exceptions in your antivirus (firewall) software?

Yes (open the proper ports) and if you have a hardware firewall you need to forward those ports to the IP address of your pc.

1. OK, the ports I need to open are UDP/TCP: 28909-28989 & UDP: 7777-7781
Under my "Virtual Servers" section of my router there is no way I can open 80 ports. It doen't give me that much room. I have added it to the "Applications" section.
Special Application is used to run applications that require multiple connections. There isn't any place to enter an IP address though.

2. Another question is the "WAN" section of my router (Dlink DI 604). I have a dynamic IP address from my ISP so my router is set to the dynamic setting.
*Do I need to get a static IP address from my ISP? I don't think that everyone hosting games online has a static IP. - I have my computer set up with the Static DHCP in my router so it will assign me the same IP address. I don't know if this is correct for hosting.

3. In my WAN seetings for my router do I need to enter the actual IP adress from my ISP or the 192.168.0.x that my router is giving?

4. I also went under "Internet Properties (TCP/IP) Properties & entered the ip address 192.168.0.x. I also entered the default gateway & info. All these are from my router. *Should I enter my actual ip address from my ip in this section too? To get there I went to Start- Control Panel- Network Connections- Right click on local area connection & select Properties- then click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) & click Properties & you should see where I entered the info.

5. I run Trend Micro PcCillin with firewall on. *Do I need to configure it as well or can I just leave it be?

I've been looking at portforward.com but it doesn't answer these questions. I'm getting confused & frustrated. I'm just so sick of this problem & I've been try'n very hard to fix it. I've tried in the past & never could work this out.

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=177

You don't need to open/forward 80 ports...you do a "range"..just like you listed above.

Don't need a static IP address for temporary servers...clients connect to your current WAN IP address.

Most new game servers will keep "heartbeats" to master game server lists..people will find it via name anyways.

You want a low system impact antivirus, exclude your game directory from real time file protection.

Hopefully you're not "playing" on the same machine that your "serving" on...run a dedicated server. If you also play as a client..your CPU is being HAMMERED trying to provide your graphics, etc..making it laggy for your clients.

YeOldeStonecat said:
http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=177

You don't need to open/forward 80 ports...you do a "range"..just like you listed above.

Don't need a static IP address for temporary servers...clients connect to your current WAN IP address.

Most new game servers will keep "heartbeats" to master game server lists..people will find it via name anyways.

You want a low system impact antivirus, exclude your game directory from real time file protection.

Hopefully you're not "playing" on the same machine that your "serving" on...run a dedicated server. If you also play as a client..your CPU is being HAMMERED trying to provide your graphics, etc..making it laggy for your clients.

No, I won't be playing while running Ded server but I also just want to host a MP game & play. Thanx for the info. So do I enter my internal ip address under "WAN" settings in my router or will the 192.168.0.x that my router gives out work?
Also, under the "Virtual Server" settings where I can open ports it doen't allow me to enter port ranges. Only room for 4 digits that's all. Under the "Applications" setting it allows for port ranges but there's no place for entering a specific IP address. I appreciate the help & I will study the link you gave me when I get off work today.

OK I can open a range of ports under firewall settings. Q. When I enter my LAN IP to forward the port to do I enter my ISP IP or just my 192.168.x that I have set up for static DHCP?

When you open/forward ports..you point those to your internal IP. Port forwarding automatically pulls from the WAN IP..whatever that WAN IP may be. Port forwarding is like opening a window in a sky scraper that's 65,000 floors high. Port fowarding lets outside traffic in.

On traditional home grade routers...you can only forward a port..to a single internal IP address. You can't take that same port..and also forward it to a different internal IP address.

So if I've assigned my Computer a 192.168.0.200 address on my network that will be the IP address I forward ports to? SO that would allow internet users to connect to my internal ip address assigned by my ISP?

Also, about Antivirus/firewall software. Should I put the settings to Low protection? Or should I just shut it down till I get my router configured correctly?

Maul said:
So if I've assigned my Computer a 192.168.0.200 address on my network that will be the IP address I forward ports to? SO that would allow internet users to connect to my internal ip address assigned by my ISP?

Also, about Antivirus/firewall software. Should I put the settings to Low protection? Or should I just shut it down till I get my router configured correctly?

Yes...you'd port forward to 192.168.1.200 in your example.
Yes other people would connect to you using the WAN IP that your router obtains. You can find out what this WAN IP by many different methods..
http://whatismyip.com
or log into your routers web admin page...look under the status section.
Your antivirus would not affect port forwarding..however..depending on what additional software firewall you're using..yes you'd probably have to configure that also.

So the problem solely lies with my router config & possibly my software antivirus? Do I still need to do the IP passthrough you spoke of before? Thanks for the help. I'll work on it some more over the weekend.

Back