questions about movie playback/encoding

moose517

Gawd
Hi guys my dad and i are building an HTPC for our living room and i have a few questions about the way the movies should be done. I have been using anyDVD to pull an image file from all the DVD's we have as well as create the video_TS folder. How should they be encoded so that we can stream then from our home server to the HTPC and my xbox360 using the best settings and maintaining 5.1 surround if possible? Right now i have a few encoded using handbrake with the xvid/ac3 codecs in an .avi file format. Is there a better option for doing this that i am overlooking? The .avi works on my xbox but when using windows media center it says the file cannot be played but works in windows media player. We want to use software that is easy for my mom and younger brother to use, one where the can just scroll the list of movies and select the one they want to watch. Hope this makes sense, and thanks for your time.

your probably encoding it fine just get the right codecs to play it in media center. get coreavc and ac3 filter and mine plays everythign so far with just those, and the mkv reg edit from the sticky on this forum. i have been using rip bot for mine to get 5.1 and 1080p video.

you can get media browser that i believe can transcode anythign to be played on the 360 from media center as well i havent tried that option but its there.

well i do have coreavc and ac3 filter installed on my test rig and windows media center says that it cant open the file.

Back