Questions about monitor arms

Peat Moss

Gawd
Do gas spring monitor arms not last as long as mechanical spring arms? Is gas spring the same as pneumatic?

yup and not as stable, they will sag over time BUT usually have higher weight ratings. pneumatic is usually to do with the height adjustment.

I will also add that you get what you pay for in gas spring arms. If you want to go gas spring, do your homework on the brand. I have 8 NBs that are 4+ years and zero problems.

Thanks, I was looking at Vivo, Desky, Progressive, Wali, etc. Vivo had a arm they described as pneumatic, that's why I asked, as I thought gas spring was the same as pneumatic, but I don't know. Ergotron is out of my price range.

What is NB?
Edit: North Bayou?

Last edited:
I've been looking at the North Bayou monitor arms. I can't seem to find any warranty information on them, except for an authorized reseller here in Canada that only provides a 30-day warranty.

I was more worried about a Monitor arm taking a chuck off wood off the back of my 1/2 thick drafting table so I never really considered one.

I've been looking at the North Bayou monitor arms. I can't seem to find any warranty information on them, except for an authorized reseller here in Canada that only provides a 30-day warranty.
id skip that one. based out of Oz, ships from chy-na, "international warranty in country" is listed but no time frame given ANYWHERE i looked on any site that sells them, you have 7 days to return unopened product etc etc.

I was more worried about a Monitor arm taking a chuck off wood off the back of my 1/2 thick drafting table so I never really considered one.
I got this reinforcement plate to avoid exactly what you mentioned when I started using an arm to mount a 43" TV on my desk.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back