Questions about iTunes on a WHS server

dar124

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello, hopefully this post is in the correct area. I've also posted in the HTPC thread.

I've recently put together a WHS 2011 server. It took a while to piece together, configure, install a few add-ins and start to transfer the files from my PC. I'm at the point now that I've transferred everything from my PC except my music. I've been holding off to make sure that I have everything set up correctly so that iTunes will work without any glitches after the transfer. I want to transfer all the music files to the server, but run iTunes itself on the PC. Is it as simple as transferring the music and then directing iTunes to the networked "//servername/Music/iTunes" folder?? That just seems too simple.

I've done a few google searches regarding this and I got some results for issues with installing iTunes on the server or for an iTunes add-in. So I figured that I'd check here on the forum for some advice. Thanks in advance.

That's pretty much exactly what I do with my WHS. I just mapped a drive (i: ) and point itunes to look at the library there. Works great.

Last edited:
Thanks jonnypage. I kept finding postings about having to install all kinds of add-ins, iTunes not running correctly as a service or studdering during playback. But mapping a drive seemed to make the most sense and be the easiest solution :confused:.

After I move my Music folder (which contains the iTunes folder) to the server, which folder/file within the iTunes folder would I point to?? I'm thinking it would be the "iTunes\iTunes Media\Music" folder?? But there are also a handfuld of "iTunes Library" files and a "iTunes Music Library" file in the iTunes file. I sometimes get confused when changing things around in the iTunes folder.

Thanks.

all I did (on win7) was go edit > preferences > advanced and changed the iTunes media folder location to i: (that is a mapped network drive to //whs/music) - works great. It auto creates an itunes library there, and if you format, all you have to do is point it there and your library will be back.

Back