Questions about fittings

I believe the only difference between the first two pairs you posted is the finish on the end where you screw in a barb or compression fitting ... one is plain, whereas the other has a collar to give it a bit more of a finished look. During the past 6 months, BP has been updating fittings very quickly. I have both kinds ... they both work fine.

The second pair are dual rotary 90 degree fittings ... achieve the same thing as a regular 90 degree fitting with less restriction, and also some flexibility for direction of the tubing/connections on each end.

As for the others ...

The first is an extender, just used to give you a bit of extra spacing with your fittings.

The second is a fancy Y connector ... can be used to put a drain line in, or in other applications where you want to split flow (not common in basic water cooled setups).

Nos. 3-5 are just fancy "T" type connectors - except they come with several different options for openings ... straight through, 90 degree, etc. Can be used in tight spots where you need a 90 degree turn (like on the bottom of SLI video cards), or for drainline access, place to plug in a temp probe, etc.

Here's a sample of how I used one of these - the bottom 90 degree fitting is connected to a short drain line that just rotates to the outside of the case:

491461012_pKSyc-S.jpg

A different use - again for a drain line, all I do is unscrew the stop fitting at the bottom of the blue tube connecting the reservoir to the radiator to drain the CPU loop:

492134853_aEuYk-M.jpg

The last one can be used to connect video cards, or anywhere else where you need just a little flexibility with regard to the length of the fitting - length is slightly adjustable as they are held together by two o-rings. Can also be used in a loop where you don't want to have to unscrew fittings to take it apart (although I find they hold quite tightly, so easier to unscrew compression fittings).

Example using the Bitspower D-plugs:

486739462_u2Li2-M.jpg

Thanks for the reply. If you could elaborate a bit on your pictured setup, that'd be great.

Especially on your blue reservoir, you've got that ball fitting with a plug and a compression fitting. Couldn't you have just used a 90-degree adapter there? Why'd you go with what you did?

If I could, I'd probably just recreate your entire loop. :p

i don't have much to say regarding the rest of your post, however that last item is a fan bus plain and simple. it's a way to run a variety of fans if you don't want to run them off of MOBO headers or separate PSU lines. if it fits your build well: great.

for myself, i'm working on making better use of the MOBO headers and the thermal-controls that are built into the BIOS so i don't have to manually tweak as much.

it looks really pretty, and it has it's uses, but it's just another tool. there are a lot of factors to consider before you know if it's the right tool for the job.

Agree with DFI on the Bitspower-X board. It has connections for fans at different voltages and several molex connectors. A neat way to tidy up connections. Note that this has "male" connections, so you'll need adapters if you want to use it with most regular male molex connectors (or mod them).

About the Blue Res fitting ... I could have used a 90 degree fitting, but I would have lost the ability to have the easy drain option. All I do is unscrew the fitting on the bottom, hold a container underneath, and the CPU loop drains easily. My use of a 90 degree on the pump outlet has been debated elsewhere. It's not ideal, but I have tried it without and see no difference - so went back to this because it makes for a short tubing run AND I have the drain.

A close up of the Q fitting with stop plug:
505287042_wecYZ-M.jpg

hey if you dont mind me jacking the thread here...
what is a good place to buy a good quantity of fittings like these? best would be a plumbing or other store i can go to so i can avoid shipping costs, but i assume these specialized fittings are only available on a few web sites. wheres cheapest? also, is there such thing as a compact valve fitting? i see in your loop shazza that you have those drain lines. does it just make a little mess when you unscrew the stoppers to drain them? i would like to have a valve i can open instead if possible.

So far, I've seen the Bitspower Fittings at Performance PC's, Jab-Tech, Sidewinder PCs, and Mountain Mods has started carrying them as well. These places generally carry other brands as well, and I know Danger Den has compression fittings.

Re the question about my drain lines - I don't get a mess when I open them up. I just put a container under the bottom and use a tissue or paper towel to unscrew the plug - just have to make sure the pump is off :) A popular drain line option is to include valves - some are made by Koolance or Alpha Cool. I just didn't have room in all places, and wanted to use the fittings I already had.

What'd you cap your green drain with?

looks like one of these. he rotates that tube out like he showed above, then just unscrews the cap on the end to drain it. i think you can see it right near the bottom of the green res in his big pic. correct me if im wrong, shazza.

ok, me-question time. i have a dtek fuzion, and like most blocks, the threads are spaced just enough so that you can put on 1/2" nozzles and the outside of the tubes over them will pretty much just barely touch, with no room in between. i am building a sff case, and i wont have room for the tubes to come straight up out of the block. i want to put two 90 degree angle fittings on. is this possible? i know with one-piece fittings i wouldnt be able to screw the second one on because the first would be in the way. can i still fit them both on if i get two rotary 90 degree fittings? ideally id like to make them parallel like this.

Back