Questions about CRT setup

aces155

Limp Gawd
So I am in the process of getting myself a FW900 and I had a few questions about setup. I know the thing has both VGA and BNC connections, and I was hoping to use the BNC setup, but from what I have seen the graphics card I am planning on getting - 8800gtx - has only DVI outs.

My question is: how much signal loss would I get if I used a DVI to VGA converter right at the output of the card and then used a HDB15-to-5 BNC connector to hook up to the monitor?

I use a BNC cable from BetterCables and a VGA to DVI adapter. I'm very pleased with the result.

You might have to try a couple of adapters before you get a good result. (First one I tried caused shadowing. Second one I tried is great.)

Any reason you wouldn't want to go straight up DVI-I to vga with a single cable and no adapters? Your losing any benefit that BNC may bring by adding in two adapters. Adapters can make things fuzzier (not always though) and you're contemplating using two of them.

If you're willing to spend the money, you can buy both the cable i linked at monoprice, and the cable that clement linked above. Test both of them, and use whatever cable works best.

Edit: Or you can try the simplest solution of all, just use the stock VGA cable with this DVI adapter that claims to be better shielded than regular ones.

I did not know there were straight DVI to BNC connectors. Thanks for the info!

Back