Questions about android security.

sc3252

Gawd
I was thinking about buying a new android handset(never owned one), mostly the galaxy S. One thing I have read about Samsung, and others, is that they do not update their handsets in a timely fashion(if at all). Does this include security updates for the operating system, or is that just enhancements. I would hope that Google would directly control security updates on handsets, but for some reason I doubt that happens, am I correct?

There aren't regular security updates, just like there aren't regular security updates for winmo, blackberry, or iPhone. So far, that hasn't been necessary.

Android runs all apps in a very robust sandbox and has a very well thought out permission system. Android's security so far is top notch.

Thanks, didn't know that. Of course that still doesn't make me feel easy about the lack of updates from cell phone manufacturers, any day they could find an exploit and they would be too lazy and slow to fix it.

Thanks, didn't know that. Of course that still doesn't make me feel easy about the lack of updates from cell phone manufacturers, any day they could find an exploit and they would be too lazy and slow to fix it.

True, but I have a feeling that if a security vulnerability IS found, that it will be patched in a hurry by everyone. If not, you can bet the community will have custom ROMs with the patch in a hurry.

There aren't regular security updates, just like there aren't regular security updates for winmo, blackberry, or iPhone. So far, that hasn't been necessary.

Android runs all apps in a very robust sandbox and has a very well thought out permission system. Android's security so far is top notch.

Rooting negates that, no?

Rooting negates that, no?

Not really.

Rooting allows for programs to get system-level access, but only if you expressly give them that permission. Users get an SU request popup when a program tries to get root access (like "for root users" apps).

...and they sell anti-virus programs for Android on the market. lol. Beware of those. There's even one for $40.

heck! is there any record of anyone remotely hacking into a smartphone? if there is a weak or insecure point, it's usually with the carrier and not the phone.

heck! is there any record of anyone remotely hacking into a smartphone? if there is a weak or insecure point, it's usually with the carrier and not the phone.

The fact of the matter is that attacks on smartphones are pretty low due to the carrier, which acts as a firewall. They don't exactly sit open on the network.

Malicious apps is another story though.

Back