Questions about AM2, AM2+, and AM3

Ron FTL

[H]ard|Gawd
Tonight I will be ordering a PII X3 720BE.

Right now I have a Asus M2N-SLI socket AM2 motherboard.

Is there a way that the new am3 chip will post & boot with the am2 socket asus?
I hear that AM3 chips can work on AM2+ boards, but what about AM2?
I checked bios updates and there was nothing stated about am2+ or am3 chips.

Its nothing critical, I am just curious to know if it is even possible/safe?
I plan on buying a ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 board the following week with some DDR3 ram (still undecided).

It should work in your current motherboard with a bios update. I heard of phenom2s running on them also. Am3 cpus are am2+ compatible. They can use ddr3 or 2 depending on your motherboard. Its unofficially supports phenom 2s on your board but i read a lot of people on the asus forums got it to work easily. It just recognizes it as an unknown cpu.

Thanks Conker.
I'll give it a try and look some more on asus forums as well.

(deep down I just dont want to have to stare at the chip in the box for a whole week. It would be torture! lol)

EDIT: Upon searching on their forums I found out that it will work. I need to flash my bios to 0903. and then the new PII's will work.

Source: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...ard_id=1&model=M2N-SLI&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

I guess I should of looked there first... whoops :p

get a new board.. i have the m2n-sli board.. better off getting a new am2+ or am3 board before your northbridge chipset takes a dump on you like mine did.. and mines not a rare case.. atleast 25% of the m2n-sli deluxe boards chipsets fail before 9 months..

not to mention you will be severly limited on the HTT link.. which is a very important thing for AMD processors..

Back