Questions about a new MCE install

Hymack

n00b
Currently I have XP Pro installed on my computer but wish to run MCE (which I know is basically the same except for network domain stuff). I have so many applications installed right now that I don't want to spend a week re-installing them with a fresh install.

Can I install MCE over my XP Pro seamlessly? I don't really want to run a dual boot config since they are basically the same. I could install it on a separate drive, but that would require re-installing everything. My rig basically runs 24x7 since my roomates stream constantly off my system making a dual boot configuration not ideal in this situation.

Thanks!

From my knowledge is that you can only get MCE pre-installed in new pc's. Or basically, theres no media center edition upgrades on shelves. Now, im more than sure there are a ton of people who prolly have found a way to include it, or install it.

By default, if you install MCE over XP Pro without formatting, you actually end up with XP Pro. Genius, huh? :) There is a fix for that though:
http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/18937.aspx

Scroll down a bit until you see the stuff about BartPE. I'm sure that's the fix you'll want.

Also, the copies of MCE you see for sale are usually OEM, which means the place might make you buy some hardware as well.

Charlie Hustle said:
From my knowledge is that you can only get MCE pre-installed in new pc's. Or basically, theres no media center edition upgrades on shelves. Now, im more than sure there are a ton of people who prolly have found a way to include it, or install it.
Just about any online retailer has been selling MCE 2005 OEM. That can be used to install on any system you want.

Thanks for the link to Greenbutton...an interesting read. Although it is possible to do, it seems like its almost as much a pain in the arse as it would be to just re-install everything. Also, I can could get completely rid of software trails in the registry if I go with a fresh install. Now, I just have to clear some space to do a backup :)

Thanks for the input!

Back