Questions about 802.11n ......

badtz

Limp Gawd
with 802.11n, if there's an 802.11g node on your network, will it drop the overall speed down to 54Mbps?

Even with the MIMO, will this help ensure better connection stability with 802.11g devices?

For the 802.11g MIMO devices, do those still work [in terms of connection stability] with 802.11g cards that are not from the same vendor?

any help would be super duper :p

badtz said:
with 802.11n, if there's an 802.11g node on your network, will it drop the overall speed down to 54Mbps?

Seeing how the standard isn't finalized yet, it's anyones guess. However, the last I heard was that they were using techniques to let a (assuming the vendor implements the 5ghz option) and b/g devices run at full speed while not slowing down the n devices. How that works, I have no clue...but it's what I heard. Take that with a grain of salt though.

By the way, there's a *strong* chance that any Pre-N devices today won't be upgradeable to the final 802.11n spec.

Keep in mind 802.11g went to draft 8 before it was finalized. It's possible, and you could probably even say likely, that the final draft won't be ratified in 06' I'd be really suprised if it is myself.

There are some problems with the current draft according to Airgo. They say it will disable existing 2.4Ghz wireless networks, presumably .11b and g. Something to consider since they are really the MIMO lead. How valid that is I really couldn't say but if you buy .11n draft gear, take heed in Boscoh's statement. Might not mean shit and even the pre draft gear may be fine with a firmware upgrade. On the other hand, you may be stuck with compliant hardware only if you buy the draft .11n or pre draft gear.

Back