• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Questions about 2p system for Xeon e5

mdmccordmd

n00b
Joined
Apr 18, 2012
Messages
5
Hello [H]. Mike McCord here from MaxPC. Since you guys are the unquestioned 2p-4p builders, I have a couple questions. I was thinking about building a 2p system with the new e5-2690 for a total 32 threads. What are the team's thoughts about this proc for folding vs. the Magny-Cours or whatever most of you are currently using? Thanks for your kind help in this matter and I appreciate any input.
 
In terms of price vs performance/PPD it's absolutely terrible. For about twice the price of a 4P 48 core system, maybe slightly less than half due to rising prices in 6174 chips; you're getting around 2/3 of the performance.
 
If you have another purpose for the computer that will run better on the higher clocked, higher performance Intel cores then go for it. A 4p G34 is still the leader by a wide margin if the only use for the system will be folding but that is because bigadv is able to fully utilize such a high number of threads and not be negatively affected by the low maximum single thread performance as many other applications would be.
 
Last edited:
I currently have a 2P 2011 system (Asus Z9PE-D8 WS board and Intel E5-2680 equivalent chips) folding full time at stock speeds due to the locked chips.

The system gets ~300k PPD folding 8101's, used to get a bit more with the 6903/4 WU's. For reference, starting April 27th, I dropped my SR-2 offline and have been folding only with my D8 board. Folding stats with D8. The link shows when I had the SR2 online as well.

The cost of such a system is rather high in comparison to the overall contribution to the project, but as the other guys will share with you, a G34 system will just be a folding system, where this system is an absolute brute with any sort of other use.

Price wise, I am $600 into the board, $150 into the memory, $150 into the PSU, random hard drive, random pci-e gpu for video out. The chips are ES, so the cost is... well what it is. :p

I have used it in windows and the system is blistering fast, but I fold with it under 64bit linux.
 
Back
Top