Questions about 1.5tb hd

Ok so I'm about to pull the trigger on the Seagate 1.5tb hd from newegg but I was looking over some of the reviews (one in particular) and have some doubts.

The review said that the drive wouldn't be good for an OS drive due to its "weak queuing" capabilities...wth is this all about? I'm planning to only have just this one drive in my system with Vista partition of about 100gb and the rest for media and junk. My primary concern is the OS performance over what I have now which is a WD 500aaks drive and I find it fairly fast. Will the new 1.5tb hd be lagging behind, the same, or better? I noticed that the latency is basically cut in half which is a huge plus also.

Also, if I do order and when I get the drive I'm just going to do a quick format and go from there partitioning and installing Vista. I can't wait for a full format on a drive this big...is there a way to test the drive while in Windows where I can just run a program and call it and night, wake up and see if the drive will be ok?

I'm on the fence right now and I'd really like some opinions from people who own the drive and how it's working out for them.

Oh yea one more thing, what is the total capacity of the drive after formatting? Also, what sustained read and write speeds are you guys getting?

I have been playing (working) with computers for almost 20 years now and have no Idea what "weak queing" might pertain to. From what I have read on some of the threads here, it is somewhat faster than my 500 gig 7200.11. I don't think you will have any performance issues using it as an OS drive.

While I always long format my drives, and I just had 1 of 3 brand new 1 TB WD GP drives fail during the first format in a RAID 5 array, it is not mandatory. What you can do is download the OEM diagnostic program from Seagate's website. While they do have a Winblows version, I highly reccomend getting the Dos version. They have an ISO to make a bootable CD. Much quicker and more reliable than floppies.

Just boot into the diagnostics at bed time, start it going in the long test, turn off the monitor, and check back in the morning.

There are other programs that perform integrity checks, such as HDTune, but it is not that much trouble to get the OEM's stuff, so why not?

Don

Back