Questioning my idle temperatures - c2d 6400 in p180b

As the title states, I have:

Core 2 Duo 6400
GA-965P-DS3
2gb Corsair ddr2 800
EVGA 8800GTS 640mb

all in a Antec P180b

I built this computer almost a year ago, and it idled at 45-47*C with load temps at 61*C. I finally decided I wanted to do some over-clocking and cut holes in the motherboard tray so I could get proper cable management. I also replaced 3 of the Antec tri-cool fans with 120mm Yate Loon medium speeds and replaced the stock HSF with the Thermaltake Ultima 90 with a Panaflo 90mm fan.

My temperatures only dropped to 37*C. I keep the apartment around 75*F and the case is a few feet from surrounding walls to help a bit with air flow. The front fan is intake, and the back and top fan are exhaust. I have All of those case fans and the dvd-drive powered by 1 power cable coming from the PSU. Is this ok?

What can I do to improve the idle temperature? Do you think my cpu needs to be lapped? Will another intake fan in the top cage help? Do I need to help the graphics card remove its heat? I can still overclock till I reach my old idle temps, but I'd still prefer to get it lower first.

Thanks.

cablemanagement.jpg

http://shortfuse.no-life.com/11-1/cablemanagement2.jpg
http://shortfuse.no-life.com/11-1/cablemgmtclose.jpg

I have the same issues as yourself. What does your case temps look like? I run stock HSF on my C2D in a lian-li case with a 12cm intake on the front and a 12cm exhaust in the back along with the 12cm PSU fan.

For starters lap the heatsink, you will be suprised at what you see when you start lapping thermalright sinks. (have done 2 of them). I add a old northbridge sink to the top of the mounting bracket ( Ceramique between cpu sink and bracket) many will wedge in tight with little modding. :)

I decided this problem was bothering me again, so it is time for a bump...

When I ordered the Panaflo 92mm fan I chose the 3 pin tail, which I assumed including rpm sensing but it didn't. Anyhow, I was messing with the fans today and now have the Panaflo plugged into pwr_fan, which is a 3 pin connector instead of 4 like cpu_fan. It moves a LOTTTT more air...I can actually feel air moving out the opposite side of the heatsink unlike before, but my temperatures only dropped 1-2*C. So, it seems maybe the cpu and heatsink aren't in very good thermal contact and require a good lapping?

Also, Is the reason the fan wasn't moving much air before because it was throttled down via the cpu_fan port even though there is no rpm sensing? If I order a new tail that includes RPM sensing, will the fan spin faster with increased demand for heat dissipation? could leave it plugged into pwr_fan but it's much much too loud. Do I have an obvious flaws in my cooling? I'd like to get my idle temp lower for stock fsb before I o/c.

Also, system temp is 38*C.

Edit: nTune says my VCoreA is 1.300, speedfan says Vcore1 is 1.28, Vcore2 is 1.90, And core temp only gives me the VID which is 1.3250v..

Ugh, and another thing. I can't get into bios because it seems USB support is turned off and my keyboard is USB. Any method for entering bios besides plugging in a ps2 keyboard to fix it?

Back