question

cfish

Weaksauce
i play cs:source (im sure some of you have heard of it and i know ill get a better response than in the gaming forum so ill apologize in advance) and my performance is just awful... i figured it was just the game until i saw people getting 100fps on laptops

2.7 p4
512 ddr ram
asus p4g8x deluxe mobo
raedon 9800 pro 256mb video card

i get about 50-60 without action

in action (when the gameplay counts) i get about 30

is there ANY WAY i could just get 50 stable???

ive tried:
3 different "high fps" configs all with lowest settings in the video options and lowest settings in my video card options on all resolutions

800 runs better than 640 and 1024 for whatever reason...

this is on a pretty much freshly reformatted computer

Ok, i know little about laptops. but here are a few ideas... Check to make sure the system is not using its battery saving feature of throttling down to a lower speed. IF it is getting overly hot, the same will occur.
try modded drivers... try a video card tool (such as ATI Tray Tools www.radeon2.ru)
see if the video card is also throttling down...

HvyMtl said:
Ok, i know little about laptops. but here are a few ideas... Check to make sure the system is not using its battery saving feature of throttling down to a lower speed. IF it is getting overly hot, the same will occur.
try modded drivers... try a video card tool (such as ATI Tray Tools www.radeon2.ru)
see if the video card is also throttling down...

ah you misunderstood. i was comparing my pc to a laptop. my comp is actually a pc

That seems about right for your machine. Have you tried overclocking your videocard at all? How is your performance in other games? Benchmark applications?

Ok, its your desktop not lappy
ok still try the modded drivers or the newest ati drivers - and the ATI tool thingy is still valid...
and with the modded drivers and the ati tool, better overclocking could be had...
use mem test to see if there is a small chance that your memory is buggy...
make sure you have patched the game...
the throttling can occur on some desktops as well so watch you temps...
make sure there are no other programs running in the background (anti-virus, etc.) as those can really lag a game...
delete & reinstall the game b4 formatting& reinstall of doze...
if you have surfed the web with this system, check for malware, adware etc.
you dont have to go overboard like in this sticky:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=768776
but use some of the progs as malware/adware can slooooow your system.

HvyMtl said:
Ok, its your desktop not lappy
ok still try the modded drivers or the newest ati drivers - and the ATI tool thingy is still valid...
and with the modded drivers and the ati tool, better overclocking could be had...
use mem test to see if there is a small chance that your memory is buggy...
make sure you have patched the game...
the throttling can occur on some desktops as well so watch you temps...
make sure there are no other programs running in the background (anti-virus, etc.) as those can really lag a game...
delete & reinstall the game b4 formatting& reinstall of doze...
if you have surfed the web with this system, check for malware, adware etc.
you dont have to go overboard like in this sticky:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=768776
but use some of the progs as malware/adware can slooooow your system.

ive tried various versions of cats and omegas, no difference.
ive run memory tests before, everything came out fine
im positive nothing is running the background, and im getting 0-1 percent cpu usage when im not in-game
ive formatted and reinstalled several times
i have virtually no spyware on my computer at this time

any other ideas?

and how much do you think i could overclock without needing extra cooling?

ThomasE66 said:
That seems about right for your machine. Have you tried overclocking your videocard at all? How is your performance in other games? Benchmark applications?

my performance in other games has also been terrible. (i was getting 60-100 fps in the FIRST counter-strike if you are familiar. when other machine with less than half my specs were getting 100 constant) i really cant see how thats right for my machine. well i could see if i wasnt using a config. in the game that makes it look terrible for more fps, but i am, and worse machines use those same configs. and get well over 50 constant. i never scored great in 3dmark. no i havnt tried overclocking, but i am considering it.

I had a problem similar to this in CS. Old video card(GeForce2 GTS) would toggle between 30-60FPS depending on what I was doing. When I got the new video card(ATI Radeon AIW 9800 Pro 128) I assumed my FPS would go up. So I typed "fps_max 100" so my max was 100 right? No, it stayed from 30-60. Then just one day the frames went to 100 and have stayed since. It makes no sense. The only thing I can say is blame steam, that bitch.

Sirje31337 said:
I had a problem similar to this in CS. Old video card(GeForce2 GTS) would toggle between 30-60FPS depending on what I was doing. When I got the new video card(ATI Radeon AIW 9800 Pro 128) I assumed my FPS would go up. So I typed "fps_max 100" so my max was 100 right? No, it stayed from 30-60. Then just one day the frames went to 100 and have stayed since. It makes no sense. The only thing I can say is blame steam, that bitch.

=) i didnt get 100 with the same machine when i played 1.3 (before steam)

alright, um i ran the video stress test included with cs: source and i got an average of 90!

also i overclocked from 380 to ~405 and started seeing video imperfections (signs of overheating?)

Back