Question...

Elocin

n00b
I just bought an Antec 1200 case and moved everything over form my old case to the new one. When I hit the power button all the fans start up and everything seems to be fine, except I get no output to my Video card. Now I have since unplugged the Vid card and reseated it and still nothing. I did not add anything to my new system except the different case. My old case only had 2 fans, 1 120 and 1 82 (think that was the size) and the Antec 1200 has 1 200mm and 5 120mm fans all with blue led's. I currently have 5 hard drives in the system, 2 250 gig, 1 500 gig, 1 750 gig and 1 Terabyte. I got it to boot up just fine last night after I made sure the boot drive was in the #1 Sata slot as it was not loading properly last night. I played some games for about 3 hours and no problems what so ever.

I shut down and all is good.

This morning I hit the power button and no output to my monitors again. Once more I remove the vid card and reseat it. Also last night I reset the Bios settings just to be on the safe side (for some reason it wants to boot form the USB drive first so I had to reset it to boot from the hard drive first). Anyway I turned it back on and still nothing on the screens. It seems like it should start up just fine.

So for fun I unhooked the three larger drives from the motherboard but left them hooked to the Power Supply. Computer worked just fine. I then plugged one of the hard drives back and and it turned on fine. I then hooked the 4th hard drive up and still fine. That is currently how the system is running with only 4 hard drive and seems to be fine.

The power supply I am using is PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI, so 510 watts under normal usage and 660 under max load.

Do I need to get a more powerful power supply to get all the hard drives to work?

Or does anyone else have any idea what is going on?

I have checked all my wires 3 - 4 times now and everything is seated fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

And now I just re-hooked the 5th hard drive and it seemed to start up just fine without a hitch.

Forgot to mention I am using a Crosshair motherboard with a 9850 Phenom processor and running BIOS version 1103.

Computers irk me some much sometimes.

Can you provide a complete list of system specs and whether you've overclocked your CPU or not?

How long have you had your PSU?

I did a rough count for your computer assuming you o/c'd your phenom to 3ghz and assuming you have a 8800GT video card..

@ 90% load you would be using about 500W.

if your PSU is old then you might have lost a bit of wattage over the years. Also If I underrated the specs of your computer (video card), then you probably need more power.

I did a rough count for your computer assuming you o/c'd your phenom to 3ghz and assuming you have a 8800GT video card..

@ 90% load you would be using about 500W
It sounds like you're relying on one of those psu calcs. ;) My rough estimate would be closer to a 275-325W (depending on CPU o'c) load at the wall running Prime95 on all 4 cores, 3DM06 looping, and copying data across all drives.

It sounds like you're relying on one of those psu calcs. ;) My rough estimate would be closer to a 275-325W (depending on CPU o'c) load at the wall running Prime95 on all 4 cores, 3DM06 looping, and copying data across all drives.

I am =D

Umm complete set of specs to follow, I think.

ASUS Crosshair
AMD Phenom 9850
250 gig Hard drive x2 (WD and Hitachi)
750 gig Hard Drive (Seagate)
1 Terabyte Hard Drive (Seagate)
DVD Lightscribe Burner
8800 GT Video Card
4 gigs of Crucial Memory
Vista Ultimate 64

None of this is overclocked.

I left my system running since I last posted and I just went to go use it and the screens were dark. I moved the ouse around and the screen came up just fine. I then went to close Speedfan (was wondering what my CPU temp will be now) and everythign went dark on my screen again. I am now once again having issues of not being bale to start it up. It looks like it will start, all the fans turn on, the lights on the motherboard are working but no output to my screens.

Very frustrating and odd as everything worked fine in my old case just not now that I moved it to the new one.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Now when I swap out the Video Card with another 8800 GT card the system starts just fine? I am so confused as to what the problem is.

-Elocin-

I would agree with this...

If possible, see if the same symptoms arise with the 8800GT card you just swapped into your machine by using it for a few days. If there are no problems, put your original 8800 card back in to see if the problem returns. Hopefully your original 8800 card is still in warranty - but let's see what happens over the next few days first. Swapping the card out was a good first move.

Back