• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question with my Vista install

bdowden

n00b
Joined
Jun 19, 2006
Messages
16
Hey guys.

This is my first question post, so don't flame me too bad :p

I installed Vista last night on my machine, and all went fine (minus a few missing drivers, but that's alright). The only problem was I couldn't access the internet. I could see my network, access network shares, ping the DNS, but IE wouldn't connect to any website.

After about an hour I decided to make my computer the DMZ on my router and voila! I could finally browse the internet. Unfortunately there was more software incompatibilities so I switched back to XP, but I'd like to know if anyone else had this issue or if I just didn't set something correctly.

Thanks in advance!
 
FLAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Any chance you had any kind of firewall software installed on Vista? I'm wondering if maybe your router was the culprit somehow. Did you happen to check if your Vista install was getting a valid internal IP address? Probably so, if you could access internal resources.
 
Yeah, Vista installed windows firewall by default. Even turning it off didn't work. The router was supplying my computer with a valid IP address, but I just couldn't access the internet until my computer was the DMZ.

I read somewhere that the IPv6 protocols had to be changed, although that was with beta releases. Anyone think that could have been the culprit?
 
Although unlikely you could try unticking the IPV6 items in the network adaptor settings dialogue.
 
Yeah, I tried that, too.

I'm just going to stick with XP until a month or two after Vista is released to non-IT people. By then all these kinks should be sorted out.
 
If by chance you have the asrock dual sata board then thats the reason, the NIC is junk with vista and they cant fix em
 
If by chance you have the asrock dual sata board then thats the reason, the NIC is junk with vista and they cant fix em
Where can i find info on that? I have that board, I would like to know why I have to buy a ethernet card when I choose to use Vista.
 
I have the asus a8n sli premium.

As for the version of Vista, I installed Ultimate. I could have installed any of them, but I chose Ultimate for the hell of it.
 
Back
Top