Question: Website is "Down" to us but up to the world?

Rombus

2[H]4U
Ok here is the setup:
http://www.dot.tk is the .tk registar. For some reason, all the computers on our local network cannont access it, it simply cant find the server. IE or Firefox, it dosnet matter. Tracert/ping wont resolve it. I know its up, since if i go though anonomyzer i can access it, and a friend who is on the same local ISP as us (north east ohio road runner) can access it fine.

Ive flushed the dns cache, ive rebooted my router, ive checked eveything i think i can on my end. Where else might the problem be?

It might be a problem with the DNS server you're using. Try using another one and see if anything changes.
(Try 148.122.208.99, which seems to work for me. Just be aware that it's in norway, so the latency won't be very impressive.)

If you cant resolve the IP, then it is definately a DNS problem.

Try this and report the results:
nslookup www.dot.tk
nslookup www.dot.tk 4.2.2.2 (this will query a verizon DNS server)

You might be looking past the obvious... Is the server on the network with you? Are you performing NAT and have translation/firewall/router rules to allow web access to your internal server? If this is the case, your local users need to hit the private IP, not the public IP.

RokleM said:
You might be looking past the obvious... Is the server on the network with you? Are you performing NAT and have translation/firewall/router rules to allow web access to your internal server? If this is the case, your local users need to hit the private IP, not the public IP.
No, the site is not hosted here :D by "Local network" I mean eveything behind my wirless router connected up to my RR connection.

Its defently my DNS server now, Since i talked to my friend and he uses another DNS server in lue of RR. and i can NS lookup of verizons DNS.

Guess ill have to contact RR Tommrow and let them know about the issue, Maybe i should start using KSUs DNS again.

Keep in mind that DNS propagation can take a while, in some cases several days.

Back