[Question] TV Card Vs HDTV

nym-ph

n00b
Hi,

Maybe someone can help me understand this... I did some research online, but still didnt found the answer.

Why is this,

My HDTV, 42 inches, 1080p btw, always have waaaaay better image quality then my TV card using the same source. Why?

I use my TV Card in a 24 inch monitor... Tested with 4 cards. Old pinnacle PCTV, PixelView Play TV Extreme, ATI Wonder 650 PRO, and now, ASUS My cinema.

Why can't my TVCard make the image as sharp as my 42inch HDTV, in a smaller 24inch monitor?

It's the same source... Regular SD, 576i analog transmission via cable.

Anyone?

Thanks! :)

Your TV will usually filter the image to clean it up, whereas your PC setup will not (it only directly upscales it).

Thanks for the fast reply :)

ATI Wonder has a 3D Comb Filter in order to clean up the image. But it's still far from having the same results...

Isn't there anything I could do to improve this?

Thanks for the fast reply :)

ATI Wonder has a 3D Comb Filter in order to clean up the image. But it's still far from having the same results...

Isn't there anything I could do to improve this?

Use a good MPEG2 encoder helps. When I first setup my Vista based HTPC I had to change it from the default MS MPEG2 encoder to (ugh) PowerDVD's encoder for a sharper, better picture quality.

That said, you'll never get a better or on par with image quality as your TV. Just not possible until you make the jump to HD. The problem is that regular SD signals look like garbage even on a 720p set, much less on a 1080p set (or PC moniter since PC moniters are like a 1080p set too).

Back