question to people who own a 9800pro.

bizzy420

Limp Gawd
i would like to play all my games with 4xaa and 8xaf. since the 9800pros are alot cheaper, im thinking about getting one, but i have a question.

9800pro owners, is there any game out now, that your card cant handle (with 4xAA and 8xAF turned on)? is there any games that make your card crawl?

I own a lot of the new games out there, and I haven't found one yet it can't handle

Yes. Try Halo. Far Cry is also demanding. Don't believe anyone who says their comp plays Halo at 1024x768 or above with 4xfsaa and 8x anistropic filtering.

lol i have a 9800pro and i havent tried ANY aa/af yet...
im so used to not having any on my gf4 ti4200...

Halo is a card crusher. Far Cry + AA/AF can very easily dip you into the mid 20's low 30's.

To me, AA takes to big of hit on my games. In games like UT2k3/utk24, Battlefield1942 or anything thats fast twitch, the slowdown in FPS as a result of enabling AA is simply not worth it. I personally don't even notice jaggies in my game, im simply to busy playing the game.

Other games just run flat out poor with AA, such as the Far Cry Demo or PainKiller. The FPS drop below the 30fps range and to me, thats simply unplayable. And forget about running AA or AF in Halo period.

What I do run all the time is 8x AF which makes a BIG difference in comparison to my ti4200 that I had. The framerate drop varies from game to game. UT2k4 drops 15fps with it enabled, Max Payne 2 I don't even notice the difference. Actually, Max payne 2 is the only game I can run 4x AA and 8xAF with a playable framerate.

For me, AA is overrated so I never use it nor plan on using it in future games. AF does give a noticable improvment in texture quality without killing my framerates so I l'll be leaving that on.

Everybody else has different opinions, expectations and machines will differ, so keep that in mind.

well i really dont care about halo because i think its a crappy game, but farcry is important. do you think farcry will run better when its actually released?

woah i can run the ut2k4 demo perfectly with 4X AA and 8X AF in 1280X1024, same with max payne 2
WTFOMGHAX!

I've got my 9800 pro running 4xaa and 16xaf on everything, and haven't had a problem yet. This is also running all games at my screen's native res of 1280x1024 also. Seems like a great card for all the current games!

Halo was, on the other hand, pretty bad - but that's what my xbox is for. Haven't tried Far Cry.

Earth and Beyond 1600x1200 max beauty at 440/390= 20 fps when i hit heavy damage and im under attack

Gets laggy

Halo is a crusher, its so fecking unstable and poorly ported it's unbelievable. However, it runs on both the computers in my sig. The 9800Pro (that's basically an XT) runs it at 1280x1024 (LCDs resolution) with everything on just fine. The laptop runs it fine at 800x600 with all the doodads off. I haven't tried nudging anything higher on the laptop.

If Halo doesn't run on your computer, don't blame your computer, blame the asshats who ported it to run on a PC. They did a marvelously shitty job.

basically i only really play FPS games. i know that some ppl say u cant see more than 35fps, but i feel that i CAN tell the difference. so i would like to run all my games in 1024x768 or 1280x with 4xAA and 8XaF in atleast 45fps in future games like farcry, doom3, and halflife 2.
is this a reasonable or am i expecting too much out of a 9800pro?

what is LOMAC anyways?

I have yet to turn off 4xAA and 8xAF since I got my 9800Pro. Except the FarCry demo, but even with AA/AF off it runs like complete shit on high settings. There is really no way of saying if a 9800Pro will handle newer games at those settings, it should, but once again there is no way to tell. Have to wait and see.

Originally posted by bizzy420
atleast 45fps in future games like farcry, doom3, and halflife 2.

Well that's tough to answer, as we don't really know how the final version of the game will preform.

Personally, I have a feeling that these "next generation" games will make even the most [H]ardcore "current generation" video cards stop dead. But again its hard to tell because we can't play the game yet to even see what it's actually gonna do.

yeah i know what u mean vortec. i jsut cant stand this crappy gf2 mx anymore. i was planning on getting the tyan 9800pro-m, but i dont wanna waste money on a card now, if it wont run future games good.

Back