• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question to 2405FPW owners

Walker

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 24, 2004
Messages
355
So I saved up some money and I'm looking for a 23-24" LCD. The 2405FPW seems to be the obvious choice but I'm concerned about something. How is the viewing angles on this thing? I don't mean the angle at which I can see *SOMETHING* on the screen. What I mean is when I sit directly in front of a monitor, do the corners get washed out due to color shift occuring since I'm already looking at some parts of the screen at an angle? Has anyone compared it to 23" IPS (Apple, Sony etc..) in this regard? I'm very sensitive to colorshift which is the main reason I can't stand TN panels. I know the 2405FPW is PVA but it's huge so there is probably some colorshift even when you sit directly in front of the monitor. I would like to know how bad it is. Thanks.
 
I love mine, its a great monitor. I can notice a change in color with not too much of an angle, although it still looks good, the screen gets a little more 'grey' at about 45 degrees to me. I'd recommend it, you'll love it. I only have a few minor bitches, and its mostly because its things that come with getting an lcd anyway, such as viewing angle issues, etc. I will say tho that you can easily make out the picture all the way up to I'd say 170 degrees, which I think is the spec, however it does look washed out a bit..
 
If you're in the proper sitting position (eyes level with the top of the monitor), you will get some fade at the bottom corners, because of the size of the monitor. However, if you're staring straight ahead, the bottom corners fall at the edges of your field of vision, where your color vision is poor anyway. During the course of use (as opposed to ogling), I can't say I look directly at the corners enough to notice the difference.

In short, it's definitely a flaw (I don't know how it compares with other 23" monitors, but then again 2405FPW really is noticibly bigger than those), but it's definitely not something that'd prevent me from buying another one of these monitors, or make me spend $600 more for a L2335 or $700 more for a Cinema Display.
 
Walker said:
So I saved up some money and I'm looking for a 23-24" LCD. The 2405FPW seems to be the obvious choice but I'm concerned about something. How is the viewing angles on this thing? I don't mean the angle at which I can see *SOMETHING* on the screen. What I mean is when I sit directly in front of a monitor, do the corners get washed out due to color shift occuring since I'm already looking at some parts of the screen at an angle? Has anyone compared it to 23" IPS (Apple, Sony etc..) in this regard? I'm very sensitive to colorshift which is the main reason I can't stand TN panels. I know the 2405FPW is PVA but it's huge so there is probably some colorshift even when you sit directly in front of the monitor. I would like to know how bad it is. Thanks.

I noticed when you tilt the Apple monitors that there is little to no color shifting. However, when you take a look at our panels from an angle (say you were sitting down and then stood up suddenly while looking at the screen) the whole screen would look a lot lighter.

Compromises for this technology, I guess.
 
Back
Top