Question Regarding XP EOL (Retail)

I'm not sure if this is accurate or not, and as usual, I keep coming across contradictory and confusing information regarding the OS's situation.

I've seen it stated that at XP's EOL, that any retail versions will be able to continually be installed without activation due to a "patch" that MS is supposedly going to release. Is this true?

OEM versions are supposedly going to be difficult to use, because you have to "prove" it's not a pirated version, but retail versions are supposedly "safe", and will be able to be continually installed with no problems.

I use XP Pro SP2 retail at home for both my self and my wife, and need to continue to do so, as it's most compatible with everything, from games to the business-related apps we both need (Vista has proven quite unreliable for some important things we need to use).

So, I need some clarification as to whether or not this supposed "patch" to allow XP retail versions to be installed as much as you want/need without dealing with activation (since XP will not be supported at that point) is actually true, or just another fallacy.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Never heard of any such thing(s) myself. EOL support doesn't have much to do with the activation, and I doubt Microsoft has any plans to drop a patch that would basically nullify the need for it - that would just cause even MORE piracy of XP which is obviously one of the most pirated things ever coded.

If you've got some direct link to a Microsoft URL that addresses this so-called patch, I'd love to see it. If it's not coming directly from Microsoft itself, it's more than likely bullshit... and we've got enough of that around... ;)

They just "upgraded" the anti-piracy features of XP again a few months back. There will never be an official MS patch that removes activation.. that would just be stupid (as far as MS is concerned).

There isn't anything you really need to worry about though. XP is still supported and will be patched through 2014. They won't be changing anything on the activations side, especially since copies will still be sold with Netbooks for a while. What the EOL means is that you can't call and get technical support for XP unless you're on some kind of business extended support line. Support is only available on the web now and for security patches.

Never heard of any such thing(s) myself. EOL support doesn't have much to do with the activation, and I doubt Microsoft has any plans to drop a patch that would basically nullify the need for it - that would just cause even MORE piracy of XP which is obviously one of the most pirated things ever coded.

If you've got some direct link to a Microsoft URL that addresses this so-called patch, I'd love to see it. If it's not coming directly from Microsoft itself, it's more than likely bullshit... and we've got enough of that around... ;)

I know, totally agree, and what you say makes sense... same thing I was thinking, but I've seen similar type things mentioned in a couple of different places. I'm trying to remember where, though I don't remember any links to an official MS page regarding it.

We've been using one copy of XP Pro SP2 for the two desktop systems, and one laptop, without a problem. Occasionally I have to call to get it re-activated, due to the regular reformats, which uses us more installs.

So, I'm trying to figure out whether or not I need to snag another retail copy, in order to not run into an install limit problem, but then having coming across this "info", it made it sound as if I wouldn't have had to bother.

I just had a friend have his VLK copy no longer work (he has his own small business), getting an error message that his key is "not valid" and he needs to purchase another license. However, he said he's had no problem with reinstalling his retail version at home, and he reformats perhaps even more that I do, so I don't know if that "backs up" the issue with OEM versions, or it's just coincidence.

I just need to make sure my wife and I will be able to use our copy to install continually after EOL especially, or if we should try to snag another retail copy to make sure we don't hit some kind of wall with install limits when XP is no longer supported.

They just "upgraded" the anti-piracy features of XP again a few months back. There will never be an official MS patch that removes activation.. that would just be stupid (as far as MS is concerned).

There isn't anything you really need to worry about though. XP is still supported and will be patched through 2014. They won't be changing anything on the activations side, especially since copies will still be sold with Netbooks for a while. What the EOL means is that you can't call and get technical support for XP unless you're on some kind of business extended support line. Support is only available on the web now and for security patches.

Got ya, and make sense... I recently read (here first, actually) that security patches will still be available for a while.

Is this "upgrade" in their anti-piracy features why my buddy had problems with his VLK for his business? Will this effect retail versions at all?

I guess my concern is that, once they stop supporting XP, will you have to continue to call to verify your retail version after so many installs, and will you have to pay for that, since that might be considered "support"?

Last edited:
If you're using one retail copy on three systems you need to go buy another 2 copies anyways.

As for the VLK not working, that happens a lot when they get compromised through malware or other issues. Since VLKs don't have the activation issues they are the ones that generally get flagged invalid when they change the WGA system. If its a valid VLK he should be able to request a replacement key through his sales rep or something similar.

If you're using one retail copy on three systems you need to go buy another 2 copies anyways.

As for the VLK not working, that happens a lot when they get compromised through malware or other issues. Since VLKs don't have the activation issues they are the ones that generally get flagged invalid when they change the WGA system. If its a valid VLK he should be able to request a replacement key through his sales rep or something similar.

I don't know much about how VLK works, though I know you can request a replacement key, as you said, though he's told me he shouldn't have to right now, so I've not idea what''s up with that. I'm sure he'll figure out.

As for us, we haven't been able to afford getting a hold of another copy of Pro SP2 yet, never mind two more. My wife wanted to upgrade to Pro (she was using Home, still), so I threw it on her system as well as having it on mine, and haven't had any issues. Many people have multiple systems in their home, and cant afford to buy separate retail versions for each.

Is MS doing something that is going to make it an issue for us to use it on at least our two main systems? No problems thus far, but if it's going to become an issue, then we're going to have to have to get another copy soon, since I've heard they're not producing any more retail versions of XP.

I also reformat my own system relatively often, and don't want to run into any install problems once XP is no longer supported, especially if that's considered "support", and you have to pay for it.

*Note: I'm also building a second gaming system. Would I have to buy another retail copy to use on that system as well?

Last edited:
There are only two ways you can activate XP on two different machines simultaneously - lie when you call in for activation on the second system and explain you've changed hardware or wait 180 days since your last activation. Both are really illegal and you should purchase a second copy.

Back