• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Question regarding slow box...

Joined
Dec 13, 2003
Messages
2,238
I just picked up a Compaq computer today that has a K6-III at 450mhz. I paid nothing for it. I built a new system for a friend and he just gave me this one. Is it worth Folding on this thing? I usually try to use processors that are 1ghz and over. Is there anyway this thing can turn in 100 points every two days or so? Thanks for the help!
 
freeloader1969 said:
I just picked up a Compaq computer today that has a K6-III at 450mhz. I paid nothing for it. I built a new system for a friend and he just gave me this one. Is it worth Folding on this thing? I usually try to use processors that are 1ghz and over. Is there anyway this thing can turn in 100 points every two days or so? Thanks for the help!
i had that same deal with my wife's computer. First WU took like a month and a half...i suggest turning on timeless WU's and let it run its thing.
 
Thanks for the help. Where do I turn on timeless workunits? I usually just let F@H set it self up without intervention.
 
http://www.hardfolding.com/index.php?go=4

That guide will get you sorted, in particular Step 14 regarding WU preference. :D One thing to be mindful of though is the amount of power that thing will chew up. If energy cost is no issue, run it full tilt, but just be mindful if you're needing to watch the cost. Sometimes its better to pass on an old boxen in the hopes of building more efficient ones.

 
Bottom line is: It is worth it if you don't pay for your electricity....lol
 
Really doubt you'll be getting 100 pts. every two days. More likely 100 pts. every 10 days or so. So yeah, cost of power is an issue. If you decide to run it as a file server or something simillar at home then it'd be worth having it fold, if not it's purely up to you and your power bill.
 
1.6 x 0.45 x 24 = 17.28.
So 15-20 Points per Day is a good call.
May do a little bit better depending on how the points bonus work out.

So if you pay for power then its probably not worth it unless its doing another job as well.
If not then go for it........... :p

Luck....... :D
 
I guess I'll just give it away then. No point in using it for folding for such little points. Thanks for the suggestions! :D
 
Back
Top