Question Regarding Routers

I don't want to add any extra security measures. I don't want to make it more complicated plus no one could really gain access to anything unless they are in our house... no one lives close enough to access the router plus there won't be much if any critical information being done. But Help me clarify this whole IP thing. Will the new router which will kind of serve as an access point just give new IP's to every computer it's connected to through wireless. Is this the same for the things I plug into the remaining three Ethernet ports on the back?

When you plug in the new router, it becomes an extension of your existing network.

When a wireless computer needs an IP address, it will get one from the DHCP server you still have running on the original router. It won't come from the new router because you've turned off that DHCP server. You can't (for the sake of a simple home network) have two DHCP servers serving the same network. And yes, the remaining wired ports will work just like the other wired ports on the original router.

Will do!

All I have to do now is find a good quality place to purchase a nice cat 5e cable and then get it installed.

Back