Question regarding NewEgg Open Box HD

samops03

Gawd
I was looking to buy another WD500 AAKS and newegg has an open box one for $79.99. As i understand they were tested by WD before being sold as open box correct? So is there any reason why i shouldnt buy it over the OEM drive for $105?

"Open Box items have been opened and touched and/or returned. Because they originate from different situations, they may or may not include accessories, documentation or retail packaging. Refurbishment is done by the manufacturer. Open Box products are warranted for only 15 days. We recommend that you try out your open box product immediately after receiving it"

not worth the headache inregards to lost data or an area where you want to skimp on($$) imho.

If a used drive with a 15 day warranty is worth saving $25 for you, go ahead. I wouldn't buy it for $10 myself. :D

If a used drive with a 15 day warranty is worth saving $25 for you, go ahead. I wouldn't buy it for $10 myself. :D

Doesnt the 15 day warranty apply to the time i have to get a refund from newegg? as opposed to 30 day? I still have the full WD warranty just like a new drive would. And the fact that it was used for less than a month doesnt really mean anything to me. As long as it works.

An open box item is something that was returned by a customer and they said it was working, or they may assume it was working. You don't know. It was not checked or certified by the OEM. That would be a refurbished drive.

Worth the hassle, not for me. If it was a B&M store 20 minutes from my house, maybe. Mail order, nah.

Don

Doesnt the 15 day warranty apply to the time i have to get a refund from newegg? as opposed to 30 day? I still have the full WD warranty just like a new drive would. And the fact that it was used for less than a month doesnt really mean anything to me. As long as it works.

Based on the quote in your original post, it said "Open Box products are warranted for only 15 days", it doesn't say returnable. I wouldn't risk it. It is a drive someone else bought and returned for whatever reason we don't know.

Based on the quote in your original post, it said "Open Box products are warranted for only 15 days", it doesn't say returnable. I wouldn't risk it. It is a drive someone else bought and returned for whatever reason we don't know.

Ok so i called Newegg and they told me that the "15 day warranty" is not a warranty. Its the time i have to get a full refund from them. The drive still has its WD manufacturer warranty.

Every open box product I've bought from newegg has been DOA so far or have weird issues. I'd stay away, especially with something as important as your data.

Ok so i called Newegg and they told me that the "15 day warranty" is not a warranty. Its the time i have to get a full refund from them. The drive still has its WD manufacturer warranty.

Good to know, but I still wouldn't do it. If you have to RMA to WD, you still have to pay shipping to them and wait with no drive while they ship a replacement.

you still have to pay shipping to them and wait with no drive while they ship a replacement.

Yeah, definitely skip the open box deal. If it's $20 cheaper, automatically reduce it to $10 savings due to the 10 bucks it'll cost sending it back to WD :(

another question to ask,... what would you be doing with this drive? If it's not a major component of your system, then saving yourself 25 bucks or so might not be such a bad thing. Especially with the WD warranty. Even with shipping it back to them and paying the costs, you're still up 10 bucks or so as brand new drives don't always work straight away either. My only experience with open box stuff was with an fx5700 video card... it was significantly cheaper than new so I jumped on it. It's issue was that the fan would kind of stick on a cold boot... I'd have to flick the fan to get it spinning. Restarts weren't an issue.

another question to ask,... what would you be doing with this drive? If it's not a major component of your system, then saving yourself 25 bucks or so might not be such a bad thing. Especially with the WD warranty. Even with shipping it back to them and paying the costs, you're still up 10 bucks or so as brand new drives don't always work straight away either. My only experience with open box stuff was with an fx5700 video card... it was significantly cheaper than new so I jumped on it. It's issue was that the fan would kind of stick on a cold boot... I'd have to flick the fan to get it spinning. Restarts weren't an issue.

It would be hard to say that a hard drive is not a major component of any system. I already own one of these drives as my system drive. I wanted another to use for storage. Ive never bought open box so im going to give it a try. When the drive comes ill connect it and run full WD diags. If it passes that and doesnt make excessive noise, ill keep it. If it does, ill send it back to the egg and buy a new one. This drive is not critical to my system and i just spent a lot of money on my rig. I just want to see if i can get away with saving some money. All my other components i bought brand new.

*shrug* i buy open box all the time, only once in like 2003 did i get burned. It was on a gainward video card, same week i bought it gainward moved overseas.

i personally feel that open box is worth it even with an rma, i got a 320 gb hard drive for like 3 bucks at compusa closeout, cost me 6 bucks to rma so what 36 bucks for a 320gb sata 2 drive with a 5 year warranty and 16mb cache...works for me.

also got a gigabyte mobo open box on newegg for about half its normal price, came with everything except the sata cables and has worked perfect.

even got a super finicky dfi ultra-D in my 939 days for a steal via open box...again not a single issue.

I buy the open box hd's most of the time and they all work. When I can save $50.00 or more on 1 hd I buy them, most of them are hd's that people just don't want and send back to newegg and they in turn have to get rid of them and sell as used or open box. I just bought a new seagate for 199.00 on sale as open box which normaly sell for 269.00. So it's a good deal. I have been running it since last month and it works great. On my system. I still have the 5 year from seagate also.

Ok so i got the drive from newegg yesturday. It came sealed just like my new drive did. Seems like this was never used or maybe refurb directly from WD. Popped in the drive and it was recognized right away. Ran WD diags and it passed all tests. Drive makes no excessive noise. I will def buy open box from newegg again.

Cool that everything worked out ok. Now you got me thinking about ordering a pair.

Back