Question regarding Laptop RAM compatibility ..

ahmadka

Limp Gawd
Hi guys .. I have a Sony VPCF1390X laptop which I purchased from the US 2 years ... It currently has 4 GB (2x 2GB) of DDR3 RAM in it, which according to the specs of the RAM modules, runs at PC1333Mhz ...

I want to upgrade to an 8GB RAM (2x 4GB), but I don't want the value-type Kington memory .. The only alternative I can find in my local market is this DDR3 1600Mhz RAM (From Galaxy):

Corsair CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9

CORSAIR Vengeance Model CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9 Laptop Memory - Newegg.com

I wanted to know if it will be compatible with my laptop, since my laptop runs at 1333 Mhz bus speed, but this RAM's native speed is 1600 Mhz ..

The full spec details of my laptop (generated from CPU-Z) are available here: Ubuntu Pastebin

It's been a while since I was last into hardware stuff, so I want to get the community's opinion ! :)

Last edited:
Try shopping on a site with a good return policy, and try the DIMMs. Chances are that the mobo will just underclock the DIMM to 1333MHz, and it won't matter.

Technically, there are no RAM chips that are rated for 1600 as far as I know, they are all overclocked 1333 chips.

There will be no problems running RAM at speeds lower than what it is rated for.

Okay ... Some other people are telling me that there's a slight risk of an incompatibility, and they suggest that I just go with the 1333 Mhz 'Value' RAMs, as any performance difference between the two will be very small, only noticeable in benchmarks ..

Thing is, I do some heavy Photoshop work which involves photoshop files with like 40-50 layers .. When I load these files in Photoshop, it takes 10-15 minutes to open them and stabilize the system .. Photoshop also eats like ~1.7 GB of RAM when I open such files ..

Also, although I'm mainly a console gamer, I may rarely play some games on my laptop ..

So with the above two points in mind, do you think its worth getting the 1600 Mhz RAM, or if I should just get the 1333 Mhz RAM ...

...but this RAM's native speed is 1600 Mhz...

RAM doesn't have "native speed". There is a rated speed that it's guaranteed by the manufacturer to run at, but it will just as easily run below that rated speed.

Yep thats what I meant to say ..

Anyways, can someone please read my last reply (2 posts above) and answer the question in it ?

Thanks in advance

Back