Question regarding CPU clock by OS reading

techtips

Gawd
hey everyone, I'm running xubuntu 15 on my x220 thinkpad.

Since we don't have CPU-Z, the next best thing is i-nex.

After installing it and browsing around, I noticed that under a CPUID tab, it has the following:

Clock by OS: 799 Mhz
CPU Clock measure: 2591 MHz

I've gone through all 4 CPU cores/readings and each one is identified as 799 mhz.

I don't really understand what this identifies, this 799mhz reading. Can anybody explain it?

Link to my CPU information:

https://i-nex.pl/inex.r?validate=061020159.27615046703622

Under idle, the cores clock down unless you have all power saving features disabled.

That is why it is showing all cores running at ~800Mhz - that is speed it runs at on the default low power state.

Once you put a load on it, it will clock it back up.

2.6Ghz is the base, non-turbo speed, which is where the 2591Mhz reading is coming from

Max turbo speed is 3.3Ghz. (probably when loading up one or maybe 2 cores)

Due to slight differences in clock generators, you are almost never going to get the exact rated clock speed.

Under idle, the cores clock down unless you have all power saving features disabled.

That is why it is showing all cores running at ~800Mhz - that is speed it runs at on the default low power state.

Once you put a load on it, it will clock it back up.

2.6Ghz is the base, non-turbo speed, which is where the 2591Mhz reading is coming from

Max turbo speed is 3.3Ghz. (probably when loading up one or maybe 2 cores)

Due to slight differences in clock generators, you are almost never going to get the exact rated clock speed.

Thank you very much cyclone3d! That explains it clearly.:)

Back