Question Regarding Big Typhoon?

RobDMB

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 23, 2004
Messages
116
I've been reading some reviews and noticed that the big typhoon seems to be extremely large to the point where it might not fit in some cases. I have a P150 case and believe it would fit but I'm wondering if maybe this cooler isnt suited for cases with no side vent? If there is no vent on the side for the cpu fan to draw air through would that limit the effectiveness of the big typhoon since it seems to come so close to the side of cases? Hope that question made sense. -Rob
 
If the Typhoon fits, it will keep it cool. Maybe not as cool as if there was some space between the side and the fan, but you will be seeing nice temps either way. Plus, you can always make a side vent on your case :p .
 
i just recently uncapped my a64 3200, and got a bump up in speed, at lower temps with this bad boy. you're correct that it may or may not fit into your case. and it does need a side vent, but due to my uncapped processor not giving the surface area for the copper base to make contact, and the 800+grams this puppy weighs, i have to run the case on it's side, and open it makes about a 10F difference, due to the air allowed to pull in.
 
c1001 said:
This cooler really needs a side vent.


My Thermaltake Tsunami case has a 92mm side intake, dumping the nice cool ambient air right into the Typhoon, it is cooled incredibly well, and very, very quiet. If you DON'T have a side vent, the Typhoon does just as well as anything else provided you have decent case ventilation. I get 2c higher load temps if I turn the side intake off.
 
My case does not have a side vent. It is an antec p150. Also how would the Big tyhpoon compare to the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro heatsink. I"m basically look at models that already come with the fan included so I don't have to buy a seperate one. -Rob
 
Also would a design like the freezer 64 pro possibly be better in a case with no side vent since it would direct the air to the exhaust fan of the case instead of toward the side?
 
RobDMB said:
Also would a design like the freezer 64 pro possibly be better in a case with no side vent since it would direct the air to the exhaust fan of the case instead of toward the side?

Possibly yes.
I am not familiar with that model but there are a couple of things that I am less than excited about: First, some places show an 80mm fan, which is a bit small, others a 92mm. It looks like a proprietary model which limits your options. Second, the fins look pretty dense, which makes pushing air through them a bit more difficult.
If you go this route, check out the tried and true and awesome Scythe Ninja.
 
just cut a hole into the side over where the heatsink is, you don't necessarily need an intake fan, and it'll help improve temps cuz it can suck the air directly in through that hole.
 
I'd rather not cut a hole in the case. I guess I'll just have to consider a different cooler.
 
RobDMB said:
I'd rather not cut a hole in the case. I guess I'll just have to consider a different cooler.



As noted, the Typhoon still works great in a non side vented case, most aren't anyways.....
 
Back
Top