question re: this intel vs.....

....an amd that was suggested to me as a much better processor. i've always built intel, so i have zero experience with amd. i know this is the intel forum, but i thought maybe some of you could give a un-biased opinion.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115065

vs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103872

is the amd clearly the better processor?

I'd say no.

Just because its a dual... its also hyperthreaded, doesn't make it better.

The AMD is an older chip compared to the i3 and the i series chips smoked alot of the AMD ones.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity I popped similar processors into Anandtech's bench because I had it open in another window.

i3-540 vs x3 450 -- Assuming that the processors available on the bench are statistically close to the ones you're looking at, the i3 appears to win the match. In addition this site has your i3-550 ahead by around 10%.

The AMD might be a better processor from a price/performance standpoint (it is $50 cheaper), but if you can afford to spend the $130 or so you could also think about a Phenom x4 955 or similar depending on what you intend to use this computer for.

Out of curiosity I popped similar processors into Anandtech's bench because I had it open in another window.

i3-540 vs x3 450 -- Assuming that the processors available on the bench are statistically close to the ones you're looking at, the i3 appears to win the match. In addition this site has your i3-550 ahead by around 10%.

The AMD might be a better processor from a price/performance standpoint (it is $50 cheaper), but if you can afford to spend the $130 or so you could also think about a Phenom x4 955 or similar depending on what you intend to use this computer for.
wow, that's a nice tool...wasn't aware of that. thanks. well dammit, that throws a wrench in my build cause i had switched it to the amd chip since it seemed everyone was recommending it over that i3. =/

yeah, i think i'm going to stick with the i3 after reading some more. thanks for the links.

AMD also has a series of bundles you can get if you go the AMD Route. I was irritated that I couldn't take advantage of it as the closest microcenter to me is 6-7 hours. But you could get an x4 965 + free mobo for $150.

AMD also has a series of bundles you can get if you go the AMD Route. I was irritated that I couldn't take advantage of it as the closest microcenter to me is 6-7 hours. But you could get an x4 965 + free mobo for $150.
DAMMIT.... now i'm not sure again. :mad: they have the amd phenom x6 1055T with msi mobo for about the same price as i'm getting the i3 combo for... =/

Yeah, Cthulu, it's a hard choice eh? I'd suggest you pick a price point (for either a CPU or CPU/Mobo combo) and then ask around about what the best thing is for your price and what you are using it for.

X3's UNLOCK TO X4's!!!!!!

I thought people were [H]ard around here?!?! :confused:

You almost pay double the price for the i3 + it's only a dual core :eek: Are you seeing anything close to double the performance going that route?? Get over the 1-5 percent less in synthetic benches (that Intel Corp pays programmers to make that software. If you can even call it that, perform a little better with their dual core to four core thread hack crap), it's overrated. Get REAL cores.

Invest the extra cash you save on CPU+MOBO into a better video card or SSD or a huge mechanical storage drive. 2 TB+ ;)

Anyhow Chtulu those mobos don't have SATA 6, CFX, or USB 3.0. If I had to choose I prob go with ASUS cuz I have never owned a Biostar, and the ASUS I owned back in the day OC'd well, but I think Biostar is pretty good from what I have heard/read online. Just no exp with one. Good luck.

X3's UNLOCK TO X4's!!!!!!

I thought people were [H]ard around here?!?! :confused:

You almost pay double the price for the i3 + it's only a dual core :eek: Are you seeing anything close to double the performance going that route?? Get over the 1-5 percent less in synthetic benches (that Intel Corp pays programmers to make that software. If you can even call it that, perform a little better with their dual core to four core thread hack crap), it's overrated. Get REAL cores.

Invest the extra cash you save on CPU+MOBO into a better video card or SSD or a huge mechanical storage drive. 2 TB+ ;)

Anyhow Chtulu those mobos don't have SATA 6, CFX, or USB 3.0. If I had to choose I prob go with ASUS cuz I have never owned a Biostar, and the ASUS I owned back in the day OC'd well, but I think Biostar is pretty good from what I have heard/read online. Just no exp with one. Good luck.
lol... decaf bro, decaf.

yes those motherboards don't have those things, but my buddy doesn't need them. i'm just putting together a non-shitty computer for him on the cheap.

Back