Question on XEON processor

vict0r

[H]ard|Gawd
if you dont mind overclocking and you don't need build in graphics on CPU, does it make sense to get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117286

its the i7 3770 counterpart without the build in gpu and its much cheaper than the i7 3770 and an i7 2600

plus they work on any of the newer generation of mobos (i know that they work on older 1155 with bios updates)

just wanting to know if this makes sense for a solid foundation...not looking for anything special .. not overclocking and only drives are 1 ssd for os , 1 samsung f3 1tb for the rest and 1 dvd 24x ..videocard used is a re-usage of an evga gtx 560

GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz
SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

thanks folks!
ill be hearing from you!

looks like it should be fine. no reason to go for i7, if no overclocking or gpu needed

i don't think the xeons will work on the ivb/snb chipsets. you need to get a different motherboard that will support the xeon.

Oh contraire ;)

///looks at sig rig///

Ofc, it is not guaranteed to work. Asrock are the only normal desktop line that officially supports the chips, last I knew no one else did any other board/brand is hit or miss apart from Asus WS series. That being said, unless you get a screaming deal on the E3 Xeons, you're better off saving a few extra bucks and getting the desktop SKUs.

I don't think you should get the Xeon unless you need the ECC RAM or VT-d.
Your going to limit what boards you can use, and if a BIOS update comes through there is no guarantee that a consumer level board will continue to work.
Also your can only run one socket on the E3 IIRC.

Back