• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question on upgrading my speakers

zannster

n00b
Joined
Apr 7, 2011
Messages
2
I have Logitech Z-340 speakers that I bought several years ago, and I'm ready to buy new. In considering options, I'm okay in spending a little more than I did then, and one would hope this would result in better sound, but you never know with all the mixed reviews and differences in technology since ~2002. You have unconcerned people who think their cheapo speakers sound great, or audiophiles who think anything under $200 (or whatever) is garbage. I was fairly happy with the Z-340 speakers when I first got them, but in the last couple of years, one of the satellites hasn't been working consistently, and the total volume is a little less than we need for two people watching movies on the computer. It also doesn't really sound good enough for music, though I don't know enough about it to say what's missing. I listen to music that needs a moderate amount of bass, but I don't need car-thumping strength. I would say even that the speakers don't have to be great at high volume, because I don't think it would take much for the neighbors to hear it around here. I mention this because sometimes reviewers complain about distortion or other problems at high volume - but I doubt I'd fully crank up a 200 watt system!

I'm considering: Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II, M-Audio AV 40 (though they are a little big for my desk), Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, Logitech Z-623, and any others in that general range. The Creative T40 and Logitech Z-623 are both about $40 less, which appeals (and also appealing in size/appearance) compared to the others - but the big question is how they would compare in sound to my Z-340. T40 has no subwoofer. Z623 is a much bigger system, so one would assume it would be better - but Logitech itself gets bad reviews from some listeners. With sound preference being such a relative issue, I'm having trouble deciding.

Any tips or anecdotes?

Basic specs of the Z-340:
http://www.giantmike.com/reviews/logitechz340.html
 
I used z560s and I know exactly what you mean about your sound quality. "Soundworks" or "Megasworks" speaker sets from creative have much better sound quality overall in my opinion. The satelites provide pleasant and sparkling treble while the bass is equally deep as the rediculous logitech subs, but provide much more controlled bass (none of that boomyness). Much better for music.

EDIT: Apparantly they dont seem to make those speakers anymore as far as I can see. The Gigaworks line looks like it's pretty much the same design as the speakers I was talking about.
 
I am certainly biased, but when it comes to pure sound quality I tend to stick with stuff that is made with a recording engineer in mind. Hobbyist or otherwise.

Give these a look.
http://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Active_Monitors Just sort from lowest to highest price.
I've not used all these monitors specifically, but I have extensive knowledge of 2 M-Audio models in this price range. They are rather bright and a bit trashy in the 1-2K range, but all in all they can be used to mix records. I've used M-Audio Bx5a's for gaming, and they're very nice. Something to think about at least.
 
Uh, no to those fart machines. Try something that sounds good this time. Did I mention it is $58?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-650

These are every bit as good as the reviews indicate. I have a pair and I'm amazed too, even as an owner of several systems that would fall into the "highly and excessively gratuitous" category for college students (heck, for anyone...).

The bass, while not extending deep, is still present and amazingly tight and well controlled for such an insanely inexpensive (Not cheap!) pair of speakers. The amp pairs up well with better speakers (especially efficient horns) as well, so you've even got good upgrade paths.

The only major weak spot of the setup is slightly weak gain for use out of portable players. It might not be an issue for compressed pop and rock music, but for good recordings it leaves sources like the Clip+ (which is amazing running into my iBasso PB1 headphone amp) a little wanting in gain. Add one of these for $30 if that's a problem: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx
 
Back
Top