• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question on Turbo mode & Speed Step

lathode

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
1,441
I notice my mutli is constantly switching from 9 to 22. Is there a reason to leave Speed Step enabled if it's constantly changing? Also is there a way of testing turbo mode, as in seeing it hit 3.4 GHz on Core Temp? I tried running a single thread of prime95 but didn't see it change. Or should I just disable turbo mode and have it constantly run at 3.4 GHz or whatever speed I can get w/o bumping the voltage?
 
If you want a more honest look at what your multiplier is up to then check out the latest versions of RealTemp and i7 Turbo.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTempBeta.zip

Not too many programs follow the Intel recommended method but I can guarantee you that those two do because I wrote them. :)

If you enable turbo mode and C3/C6 so inactive cores can go to sleep, you definitely will see your multiplier step up to the higher values when running SuperPI or other single threaded tasks. Just keep in mind that your multiplier can be changing hundreds of times a second. As more cores become active to process background tasks, the multi drops on all cores and when those tasks are over, it can scale back up again to the highest value. RealTemp reports your average multiplier based on reading the high performance timers within the CPU that were designed by Intel to keep track of this. Intel did a good job designing this so calculating the multiplier the right way is very low stress on the CPU.

SpeedStep (EIST) is ok but if you don't like your multiplier dropping down to 9 at idle then go into your Control Panel -> Power Options and set your Minimum processor state to 100% to prevent this and also disable C1E. Some people like to save a little bit of power while others like to have a nice steady multiplier at idle.

Post some pics during the middle of a Super PI run. What does RealTemp show compared to what the competition shows? CPU-Z and Core Temp that round things off to the nearest whole multiplier doesn't give you an accurate look at what's really going on.
 
Nice programs, clean interface. I wasn't planning on overclocking but decided to anyway. I disabled speed step and C1E and set Bclk to 160 for 3.37 GHz and to have my RAM at 1600 MHz. I'll leave it like this for a bit and then try higher.
 
Back
Top