Question on sleeving

Jbroad572

Limp Gawd
I'm starting to sleeve my psu and I got the 4 pin molex connectors off, but I have the ones with 2 4 pin connectors and a floppy connector at the end as well. I run into problems when Im trying to slide the sleeving over the loop of wires (for the second molex connection). How did you guys do this? When I try to force it over, it just frays out. I'm trying not to go with a bigger size sleeve, because it perfect for the wires, but to get it over the loop it seems like I need to go with a bigger size.
Any suggs?

What diameter sleeving did you guys use for the power connections?

just force it the best you can. im not really sure when i buy my psu it will already be sleeved. but i guess for sleeving you just force it the best you can. your best bet is heat shrink sleeving, starts out pretty big and then you just heat it up and bam, you have very nice sleeving.

Get electrical tape (or similar) and tape the pins down. Measure how much you need from the PSU to first molex and cut the sleeve to fit. Use a lighter or something (electric stove) to melt the ends so it doesnt loosen up and slide it over the wires.

I dont remember what size I did mine with but it was included in the Vantec kit.

use a pin extractor and remove the molex pins from the connector. sleeve it, then re-attach the connector.

i just spaced them out and taped them down do it makes it skinny. then ust slid it right over. sleeving is a bitch

The_Dark_Hacker said:
i just spaced them out and taped them down do it makes it skinny. then ust slid it right over. sleeving is a bitch

You can say that again. It took me freaking forever with my Enermax Noisetaker 475AX this past weekend, especially the one lead with three 5.25" connectors. All you can do is tape the pins down in a staggered configuration like the Bytesector guide, get the sleeving over, and then do a really good job with the heatshrink tubing. I used a candle for the heatshrink, I think the heat was probably good enough to meld it and the underlying sleeving together to form a partial bond.

I used two Vantec sleeving kits to do the job, with their EZ-Grip molex connectors for the 5.25"s. Bought black replacements for all the other cable ends too, and thanked heaven that Enermax used removable SATA connectors.

Back