Question on Sennheiser HD555

dderidex

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 31, 2001
Messages
6,328
From another thread, I put 1/4" headphone jacks on the side of my XPC, run to an X-Fi XtremeGamer. I am having some RFI issues, though, that I'm trying to fight through. Current setup has a pair of ferrite chokes on the line that have done wonders...but not COMPLETELY eliminated it. HOWEVER...I thought up a potentially unorthodox solution I wanted to float.

Right now, I'm using Sennheiser HD485 headphones, and the X-Fi puts out quite a bit of volume on the 'front panel' header. My 'Wave' level is at 100% (as it should be), but the 'Master Volume' is at 45% max - more often 40% for comfort. IIRC., that's something nuts like -50db or so.

Anyway, I've been thinking quite some time of upgrading the headphones - these are certainly nice, but prices on HD555s have been...very reasonable, quite often lately. I understand the impedance is quite higher on these, so that people commonly recommend an amp. Although, I'm thinking that if the X-Fi outputs "loud" enough that with HD485s, I can't set the volume higher than 40% comfortably, then the HD555 should be fine at 100% or near. And while the EMI will still be there, it's only BARELY audible at the moment, and against that impedance I don't think it will survive.

Kills two birds with one stone, then. Thoughts?
 
Back
Top