• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

question on refrigerating Antifreeze

Hate_Bot

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
3,334
WELLLL... I have this compressor, I tested it out just now and it works. I was wondering. If I were to use it to cool some antifreeze, What would I need to do to put said antifreeze, and put it in a loop to cool my cpu?

Would there be any steps I need to take? Are there special kind of waterblocks for this? what kind of things would I need to do to prevent condensation?

thanks

(Also, the compressor is ALOT quieter then I thought it would be, there already is a large rad to cool the warm uncompressed air, at's very large, a good 2 and a half feet high, and doesnt require a fan. My computer doesnt need to be mobile, so it's no problem that it's big, I would just make a large enclosure for everything)

Thanks
 
well, as i said a few times in you previous thread regarding that compressor: could you please post what it is rated for?

what does it say on the rating sticker on the compressor?

we need to know if it will be enough to get your coolant significantly below ambient temperatures before we can give a complete answer.

it might or might not be worth you bothering to use it, as compared to straight up watercooling.

as for waterblocks: you just use normal old waterblocks.

you do not use pure antifreeze, you mix it down to the same ratio that you would for a car, and that info should be listed on the bottle that i comes in. you should not be getting down below the temperatures that the antifreeze is rated for, with what i am assuming to be a tame compressor.

as for preventing condensation, assuming that you can get down cold enough, you make suitably shaped neoprene cutouts, that will fit snugly around you waterblock, and press against your mobo, when the waterblock is seated down into place. you fill your CPU socket with dielectric grease. you apply conformal coating to you motherboard and other hig-risk components, making sure to put masking tape over anything that needs to stay clean of the coating material, before you apply it.

however, let me say once again that you REALLY should post the specs for your compressor, so that others, more knowledgeable than myself, can help you.
 
anti-freeze is not really critical in a watercooled pc and only a light ratio needs to be use .for 1 your house is not going to be below freezing point. the chip does not get hot enough to boil the water "if the pump runs" this pumps are mostly salt water fish tank pumps . use distill water to keep the system clean since distill water have very little to no minerals at all. and add enough anti -freeze to give the water a light color. In racing cars and motorcycle specialy road racing anti - freeze is a big NO NO.
 
hmm. alright, Ill go try and see the rating sticker.

Edit: Well... that disheartening, it's arated at 144 watts...

But, I dont need it to go below zero. Just something that will get me to ambient (or a little bit less)...
 
Hate_Bot said:
hmm. alright, Ill go try and see the rating sticker.
matter of fact you could just use distill water and some type of food coloring so you have a visual of the water moving if you have a inline flow meter most of them have a ball or something to swirl around. motorcycle road racer use a special pump lubricant "extremely light" regular anti -freeze would turn the track into a horror video crash if the stuff was dump on the track. this water pump dont need any lubricant . a light mix should be enough to protect the aluminum radiator.
 
there is something wrong with my forums. I see 4 replies, one after mine, but for some reason when I clock the thread, I dont see them...
 
I have an idea.



This is a very basic image of the compressor assembly, the brown tube is copper, and when it is turned on (the compressor) that tube gets very cold, with the freon gas expanding an all that, anyway, I was thinking of welding an 1/2" coper tube all along that cold loop part, with 1/2" barbs on either side, then create a basic Water cooling loop, with the barbs connected in the loop (like a zub zero radiator). This would effectively chill the water, if I insulate my CPU from condensation, and have the chilled water running through the block (the cpu block, and the water will have antifreeze in it) wouldn't this effectively give me very cold temps?

Thanks

Edit: Allright this is annoying me, It shows that someone replied, but I cant see them... grrrrr......, look:

fucking_a_1.jpg


Thats where I can see someone replied...

fucking_a_2_1.jpg


AND I CANT SEE THE REPLY!!!!
 
Hate_Bot said:
I have an idea.



This is a very basic image of the compressor assembly, the brown tube is copper, and when it is turned on (the compressor) that tube gets very cold, with the freon gas expanding an all that, anyway, I was thinking of welding an 1/2" coper tube all along that cold loop part, with 1/2" barbs on either side, then create a basic Water cooling loop, with the barbs connected in the loop (like a zub zero radiator). This would effectively chill the water, if I insulate my CPU from condensation, and have the chilled water running through the block (the cpu block, and the water will have antifreeze in it) wouldn't this effectively give me very cold temps?

Thanks
this a bit off the topic how dificult would be to use the CPU block made to use freon instead of water ? . eliminating condensation can a little of a pain but it must be done i dont think the mobo would like water runing off of it. insulation should work. also if you control the chilling you have less issues with condensation. my question is what temperature are you looking for on the water block . playing with the flow of water using a simple valve or a veriable speed water pump. and your question should be yes. but im guesing . i would use a temp gauge to monitor the water temp .
 
i don't think that 144 watts is anywhere near enough.

in point of fact, i know that it is not enough.

you CPU will likely put out almost 100 watts, and that compressor is unlikely to remove even that much from your res.

at this point, i would say that you now have a very nice beverage chiller (may i suggest vodka?) but nothing that will be of use for making a water chiller.

you could get one of those novelty sized bottles of smirnoff's at the LCBO, but a stopper with a hole in the neck of it, and fit the stopper onto the barb in the middle of the well where the water bottle normally goes.

be a nice little conversation piece if you are a student and like to houseparty.

if you computer is what you want chilled, though, i would suggest sticking to plain water cooling with a rad, unless you can pipe a waterbong out of your window.
 
I was wondering, I could probably sell my current compressor on ebay or something, do You know any places (preferably in canada, or that will ship to canada) that have compressors?

Thanks
 
Couple of quick points. First, you should always actively cool the condensor. Second, you should use a block that is of one piece construction, like the new swiftech block. Third, even straight antifreeze won't let you get that cold. Alot of people have to run straight alcohol. You need to look for a compressor in the 1/5 hp range. I got mine off ebay for 45 bucks shipped, brand new.
 
Jonsey said:
Couple of quick points. First, you should always actively cool the condensor. Second, you should use a block that is of one piece construction, like the new swiftech block. Third, even straight antifreeze won't let you get that cold. Alot of people have to run straight alcohol. You need to look for a compressor in the 1/5 hp range. I got mine off ebay for 45 bucks shipped, brand new.

What exactly do ou search for to find a compressor in eBay? Is there any specific brands?
 
Lots of people like danfoss. I like tecumseh because their spec sheets are easy to read. Best to check the refrigeration section, not A/C, the compressors are smaller.
 
Well, it's an R-134 compressor, so not the best. It's a 1/4 hp high temp compressor. You'd be better with a AEA9415EXA, which is an 1/5 hp R-22 low temp compressor with high starting torque, which is what I have. You should talk to someone like Chilly1 on extremesystems, he can help you out.
 
Back
Top