Question on multiple routers

peekama

Weaksauce
I'm trying to add my old Linksys WRT54g router to a friend's wireless access to boost signal strength/range in his house. He currently has a Netgear WGR614 running his network, which consists of a PC and Xbox 360 on a wired connection, and multiple laptops on the wireless.

How would I be able to incorporate my wrt54g into the existing network to extend the range and strength of the wireless network?

Well, are you wanting to have it just extend wireless by just rebroadcasting the wireless or are you going to run an ethernet cable to it?

If you want to rebroadcast wireless, you'll need to install DD-WRT on it because the stock firmware doesn't have wireless bridge mode if I recall correctly. After that you'll want to set it up as a wireless repeater. This isn't really recommended though because a portion of the radio's power is used to connect to the other wireless network so it won't extend the range that much.

If you will run an ethernet cable to the other wifi router, which is recommended, then you'll want to connect to the Linksys router and disable the DHCP server, and change the LAN IP address of the router to be +1 (or more) of the Netgear router. (e.g. Netgear: 192.168.2.1 Linksys: 192.168.2.2) Then, just plug the ethernet jack into one of the LAN ports. Your all set. If you want it easier to go from one to the other make sure their SSID and security settings are the same for both wireless networks.

Back