Question on MS Server 2k3 - how to get legit..

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
Our company recently purchased a smaller company, we obtained some servers from them and will continue using what hey have on these servers, we do not want to reformat these servers, as we are not fully aware of their systems backend yet so we need them up and running for a while.

I found out, that the versions of server 2003 installed are illegal (this runs rampant in costa rica)

Now i cant seem to find retail copies of server 2003 any more on sites i can buy from (directron.com and dell.com mainly, since i have a costa rica CC and such), they are all R2 versions...

Does anyone know if R2 serials will work with the pre-R2 versions?

So if i were to purchase Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 5cal - i could use the serial on Windows Server 2003 Standard and legally register the OS ?

I just need to know the best way to do this, with out the option of reformating the system and starting from scratch...

If they are using a VLK version, you need a VLK key. A retail key will not work.

I thought MS had some amnesty thing where if you explain the situation to them they can help you get legaled up, probably just sell you some licenses and you can change the key. Does the method of changing the key in XP work in Server2003? I thought it did.

you can use the same key method as XP, this is why i am hoping, they did use retail versions of servers 2003 instead or OEM / Corp ones from further digging.

I had the same question, honestly, and althought I don't know what part of Microsoft's site I found the answer- the answer is NO.

It should be apparent because they actually sell "Upgrade Keys" going from Server 2003 to R2 (Another reason why I am not upgrading to R2 off the bat- wait until Server 2008).

I know Newegg.com sells keys- that is where I have been getting mine from.

2003 R2 does need its own keys, here at work I have to test with 2003 installs from time to time, and while I have a key to install 2003, I can never find a key to upgrade to R2.

Do you have an account with Dell? Cal your licenese rep, they are a microsoft partener and should be able to help you or get you in touch with someone at microsoft who can.

Other big vendors can do the same.

Back